Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a great set of leather seats in a salvage yard and decided to upgrade the cloth/vinyl setup in my 2006 retired Police Charger.

The back seats went in great, and today I started on the passenger seat. Got the old manual seat out, but when I put the new leather seat in (from a 2008 car - according to the sticker on the bottom), the connectors don't match up.

The new passenger seat is manual, but it has two wire connections, neither of which matches the two wires that were connected to the old seat.

Any advice on how to connect these? Pictures attached. The first two pictures show the wiring found under the seat, the yellow plug is on the seat. There also seems to be another connector on the seat, but I can't tell if any wires are attached to it. IMG_20190427_173050.jpg IMG_20190427_173123.jpg IMG_20190427_173141.jpg IMG_20190427_173014.jpg IMG_20190427_173017.jpg IMG_20190427_173042.jpg I don't really have much experience with tackling automotive wiring, so I would really appreciate any advice/guidance from my fellow Forum members.

Thanks

Also, the new leather driver's seat is power operation, but my current seat is fully manual. I haven't tried to tackle it yet, but also need some guidance on how to get it wired up. Assume that the wires on the current driver's seat will have the same issue.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not sure about the other stuff, but when I added steering wheel audio controls to my dodge intrepid years ago, the airbag connector was yellow. I believe all airbag connectors in dodges are yellow to denote they go to an airbag. That plug probably goes to a side curtain type airbag on the outboard side of the seatback

·
Registered
27 Posts
The first two pictures are pretty blurry, but the yellow is definitely airbag. You said your current seat is 100% manual? You are probably going to have an occupancy sensor for your front airbag, but not sure what else. Maybe someone with access to the wiring diagram for those years can chime in. Are there any buttons at all on the sides of the new seats?

Once we figure out what wire serves what, you have two options: 1) find the opposite connectors from the donor car (or cut off the connectors from your old seats) and solder/shrink wrap the ones you need or 2) hack them all off and make up your own connections (using something like the Delphi Weather Packs). I would steer you towards the first option.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
To do it correctly, unpin the connector from your old seat, unpin the connector from the new seat and repin the old connector with the new seat once you know what wires go where so you can match them up correctly in the connector. You will probably run into an issue with the passenger side, the way the wiring is routed for the airbag weight sensors is different and if not correctly done you end up with an airbag light.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first two pictures are pretty blurry, but the yellow is definitely airbag. You said your current seat is 100% manual? You are probably going to have an occupancy sensor for your front airbag, but not sure what else. Maybe someone with access to the wiring diagram for those years can chime in. Are there any buttons at all on the sides of the new seats?

Once we figure out what wire serves what, you have two options: 1) find the opposite connectors from the donor car (or cut off the connectors from your old seats) and solder/shrink wrap the ones you need or 2) hack them all off and make up your own connections (using something like the Delphi Weather Packs). I would steer you towards the first option.

I went back to the salvage yard and got the pigtails from the donor car, so now I have to crack the code on what to splice to what...#making progress.

I have the 06 FSM, so now I'll try to find the same info from the 2008 online...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Do it properly. Just unpin the connector and repin them in the new one. Those connectors come apart and the pins can be safely removed fairly easily and placed in a new connector.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do it properly. Just unpin the connector and repin them in the new one. Those connectors come apart and the pins can be safely removed fairly easily and placed in a new connector.
Do you have any recommendations about figuring out how to match up the wires from the recipient vehicle's harness to the donor's seats during the re-pin? Seems like I have extra wires coming from my harness on the floor that don't have counterparts on my new seats...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Do you have any recommendations about figuring out how to match up the wires from the recipient vehicle's harness to the donor's seats during the re-pin? Seems like I have extra wires coming from my harness on the floor that don't have counterparts on my new seats...
Should be a hot & a ground, unless you have the provision for adjustable pedals. All power seat functions run off that single hot lead. I'll admit my memory is a bit fuzzy on that one. Here is the 06 service manual, that'll give you the wiring diagram (and the rest of the manual anyway). Actually....my 08 R/T seats are still hooked up in my wrecked Charger. I never quite figured out the passenger side so that I didn't get an airbag light but the driver's side was perfect. I'll try to remember to get you some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should be a hot & a ground, unless you have the provision for adjustable pedals. All power seat functions run off that single hot lead. I'll admit my memory is a bit fuzzy on that one. Here is the 06 service manual, that'll give you the wiring diagram (and the rest of the manual anyway). Actually....my 08 R/T seats are still hooked up in my wrecked Charger. I never quite figured out the passenger side so that I didn't get an airbag light but the driver's side was perfect. I'll try to remember to get you some pics tomorrow.
Thank you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: The passenger seat is non-powered, so I ended up swapping the frames on the two seats, which solved my problems there (was able to make all original wiring work, and abandoned the in-seat airbag on the new seat). Will tackle the driver's seat this weekend, and will update the results...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts