Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 Charger 3.6 w/ 35k miles

I park it all winter. I went out today and started it up and moved it into the driveway. about an hour later I went back out to start it and it wouldn't start. a Voltage light came on the dash, then it said Service Power Steering. Traction light, ABS alight and a steering light were all on. and it will not let me start my car.

I tried unplugging the battery and still nothing... I'm about an hour from the dodge dealership I bought it from & I don't trust the one I have locally, Anyone have a similar issue or have heard of one?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I pulled all the power steering fuses and checked them, put them back in, tried to start it. And the car started up... However for a minute every time I touched the steering wheel all the lights came back on and then went off, after a few minutes of idleing the lights stopped coming back on... Very confused

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
These vehicles are somewhat sensitive to battery voltage. If the battery drops below a certain voltage, the computers will throw all sorts of error codes and turn on a bunch of warning lights. My guess is that, for some reason, your battery was weak, causing the problems. You might want to keep an eye on your battery voltage in case you have battery or alternator problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it happened again today.. Started up but then the service power steering light came on as soon as I touched the steering wheel.. Guess I wasn't so lucky after all

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port and see if any pending/active DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) are logged.
The car has a electro-hydraulic power steering pump. It's located behind the right front wheelhouse splash shield (passenger side). You need to remove the wheelhouse splash shield in order to check the fluid level in the reservoir.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So It did it to me again while driving, the power steering all of a sudden shut off on me and the lights came on, Not happy, If it was my wife driving when that happened she would've ran into something, steering wheel was hard enough for me to control on a whim. I'll have to get it to the dealership, Just Disappointed.

I guess I figure that there would be a different kind of warning system that my fluid was low other than shutting everything down like that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port and see if any pending/active DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) are logged.
The car has a electro-hydraulic power steering pump. It's located behind the right front wheelhouse splash shield (passenger side). You need to remove the wheelhouse splash shield in order to check the fluid level in the reservoir.
I took the splash guard off and didn't locate anything but a red wire... not sure where this is located?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The red wire goes into the power steering pump. The fluid reservoir (with the black cap) is next to it. Here's a link that shows what it looks like. The clip is only 6 seconds long so get ready to hit pause when it reaches the image of the power steering unit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took the splash guard off and didn't locate anything but a red wire... not sure where this is located?
Weird, but I just got my car back from a 9-week stay at the body shop due to repairs after being rear-ended. During that time, they had the battery disconnected. I'm not having the symptoms you have, but I'm experiencing the outright failure you mention, just intermittent at slow speeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I park it all winter. I went out today and started it up and moved it into the driveway. about an hour later I went back out to start it and it wouldn't start. a Voltage light came on the dash, then it said Service Power Steering. Traction light, ABS alight and a steering light were all on. and it will not let me start my car.

I tried unplugging the battery and still nothing... I'm about an hour from the dodge dealership I bought it from & I don't trust the one I have locally, Anyone have a similar issue or have heard of one?

Thanks
[/QUOTE

Hello there, were you able to find out the problem? I have a similar problem

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you tried hooking up the battery to a trickle charger over night and make sure it’s fully charged? Sometimes even if you get the car started and run it for a while, the alternator won’t charge it fully.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So It did it to me again while driving, the power steering all of a sudden shut off on me and the lights came on, Not happy, If it was my wife driving when that happened she would've ran into something, steering wheel was hard enough for me to control on a whim. I'll have to get it to the dealership, Just Disappointed.

I guess I figure that there would be a different kind of warning system that my fluid was low other than shutting everything down like that.
So all you needed was PS fluid??? I’m having the same problem

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
So all you needed was PS fluid??? I’m having the same problem
Your problem may be low PS fluid but if your Charger is 2011-2014 it has the electrohydraulic PS pump. The problem could be the fuses. They are located in the front fuse box (engine compartment). For example, there are three PS steering fuses in a 2013 Charger ...
#3 - 50A Red fuse (PS #1)
#19 - 50A Red fuse (PS #2)
#39 - 10A Red fuse (PS module & AC clutch relay)

Fuse Box Diagram Dodge

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would hook up battery to trickle charger over night like mentioned above. Keep on eye on voltage when you start it up again. Should be at around 13.7

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks
Hey I have a 2012 Chrysler 300 and my car is doin the same thing can you plz help me out what was the problem on your car for this situation

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I have a 2012 Chrysler 300 and my car is doin the same thing can you plz help me out what was the problem on your car for this situation

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The cars in the previous posts are 2012-2014 with the Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) pump. The 2017 models have an electric steering system. Fix for your steering system problems will likely be different than for the EHPS steering.

Check the electric steering fuses
Fuse Box Diagram Dodge Charger (2011-2019)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 2017 charger with same issue did anyone find the answer
Hi R.banks and Abraham69,
We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support via private messages.

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 20 of 20 Posts