Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. On my way home tonight I goosed it to merge onto the highway...only to have it start shaking, and the MIL started flashing and dinging. It continued to the point that I had to pull over, shut it down, and wait. On restarting, the MIL is still lit, and it does the chug and sputter briefly when it shifts, with an occasional sputter while cruising.
I'd had a similar problem earlier this year which the mechanics attributed to bad plugs, and they seemed to be right...one plug was burnt, and another was gapped all kinds of wrong ( as in, I could fit a gold dollar into the gap ).
Any idea where to start looking? I don't have an OBD reader :(
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
395 Posts
Autozone or any of the other parts stores will read the codes for free. They will try to sell you the magic potion to fix it also, so beware, but get the codes then you can look them up or post them here and someone will be along to give you an idea. Without the codes though, you're shooting in the dark.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the codes read, it's throwing one for the catalytic converter. I took it to my local shop and they ran a test through OBD on my O2 sensors, and they're working fine. They're going now on the assumption that the converter is plugged up or otherwise dysfunctional. They don't do a lot of exhaust work so they're recommending a trip to the stealership...I'm assuming this is going to be expensive :(

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I'm assuming this is going to be expensive
Depends on whether they charge you full list price (~$600 - $650) or discounted price (~$400 - $450) for the catalytic converter (plus installation). You can go to one of the local custom exhaust shops and see what they charge.

Reactions: Bad_Neko

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after wasting a morning at the stealership...they can't figure it out. #6 is throwing a random assed misfire code, but it's so infrequent they can't pin it down. They stated it could be a bad plug, bad plug wire, bad coil pack, leak in the intake gasket, bad O2 sensor, plugged catalytic converter...it's a whole laundry list. They had my car all morning, both in the shop and on a test drive, they couldn't get it to the point where it would misfire so bad as to make the MIL light flash and chime even driving it like they stole it, but cruising and idling it would chug every so often...but not enough to lock down a cause. If I wasn't upside-down financially on this car...

·
Registered
661 Posts
https://www.c h a r g e r f o r u m s.com/threads/any-wild-guesses.380173/#post-4514733

You should be able to swap it with the wiper arm relay to do a quick test - saves you the trouble of having to buy one new.
Atleast that was my experience..

I had a lot of random codes as well if you check the thread posted (make sure to remove the spaces).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Powerman, I tried your suggestion, but no luck.
I took it to the dealership again and started throwing parts at it.
On a whim, I had the tech swap the coil pack with the next cylinder. It started misfiring too. Swapped back, just #6 again.
Sprayed a little starting fluid right at the intake, revs up...
So, one refurbished intake and 6 new coils packs, plugs and boots later, she's awesome again. A bad coil and a hairline crack at the intake was the problem. And they changed the oil to boot and washed my car for free for my "frustration factor"...
Costly, but worth it to have my b!tch back.
Thank you all for your suggestions and assistance.
These cars are awesome, which is why I have two, and I'm so very happy to have her back in good order!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Damn...hairline crack?
First time I'm hearing of this!

But happy that its been resolved now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts