Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was having a little fun on the way to work this morning chasing but trying not to embarass an Infiniti G35 Coupe and we were upwards of 120 on the expressway and as I went to brake I felt some slight shaking as the car slowed from 120 to between 60 to 65 mph :TD: I'm thinking this is normal because of the drastic decrease in speed but what can I buy to decrease or stop the shaking all together? My thoughts are first to check tire pressure but I have an R/T and it has a tire sensor gauge which usually lets me know if my tires get to low. Slotted or drilled rotors which I have been told improves the braking and finally maybe bigger or aftermarket set of calipers. Right now I'm on Hawk HPS brake pads all around, factory calipers, tires and rims. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....?:3-smash:

I hope someone wouldn't mind moving my thread to the area. Posted incorrectly :i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Sounds to me like your brake rotors are seriously warped, R1s will cure that problem.. Stock rotors just plain suck and they warp quite easily...

Reactions: SRTAndy

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looked at them when I did my brakes about 10 days ago so they are not warped I don't think but I did post I few pictures under the ext. mod section. I'll post the links and you can give me your thoughts?

Show exposed rotors during brake job...
[url]http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=110042[/URL]

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
You usually can not tell by looking at a rotor that it warped, trust me your rotors are warped... I warped mine at 7k, I have had the R1s on mine for over 30k no more trouble..

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The bad thing is it does not take but one cold puddle of water on a hot rotor to cause a warp - been there done that luck I have a friend who plains them for $50.00 a rotor. but that i life being shaved off each time.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I guess my last purchase/mod before it gets too cold will be to change out my rotors. I hate factory parts, lol

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I have had the Powerslot slotted rotors for over 20000k miles and they are great. Improved braking.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Advance or Auto Zone will turn your rotors for five bucks each. I wouldn't call anyone a friend that charged 50$ each to turn rotors. Brakeing real hard from that speed may have been your antilock system working. You should always turn rotors/drums when replacing pads/shoes. At least just enough to brake the surface glaze giving your pads/shoes a proper surface to brake in on. Same as turning a flywheel for a new clutch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
it is the bushings on your strut tension bars are bad or weaken.
this will make your car shaking from high speed braking.
thought bars should be change every 30,000-40,000Km...

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
That's good info...i will have to get my rotors turned very soon

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Just be warned that when you turn rotors they are even thinner and more prone to warping again.. Add to that fact how heavy these cars are and I guarantee they will warp again and sooner.... If i am going to rip it apart, I would rather spend the extra cash and do it right the first time.. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm definitely going with slotted or drilled or maybe even slotted and drilled rotors in about a week. Haven't decided which setup I want just yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts