Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been lurking a while and trying to see if someone has anything to offer for a problem I'm having. So far nothing exact, so I'm gonna give it a go here :)

I have a 2013 Charger SXT RWD.

When I give the car some throttle after coasting a bit, it is bogging down and as i continue to depress the pedal, it will remain in that gear for a period and eventually it will downshift and I'm off like a rocket. I really only want it to downshift one gear but yet, it seems to skip a couple-three gears.

I also notice what sounds like (for lack of a better word) mild sputtering when I'm driving.

I've had it to the dealer a couple of times. The first time I took it in and went on a lengthy drive with one of the service advisors. He determined it should have a TCM reset. They (supposedly) performed this, and I can't tell that it fixed anything. The second time I took it in, it really wasn't acting up that day, so I had nothing to show. Since it's not throwing codes, I don't feel I'm going to get anywhere with them.

I want to take it back in, but I would like some additional information to take to them (i.e. solid evidence of an issue). I picked up a cheap OBD2 scanner and I'm wondering if there's specific things I can look for and monitor while driving. All signs to me point to some sort of fuel mix issue, but I'm not all that versed on car vitals. One thing I do notice is that while I'm waiting on the car to downshift, the engine load pegs at 100%.

Anyone out there with similar issues, or possibly any ideas on what to look for and/or fix?

·
Registered
270 Posts
What transmission do you have? I have the 8 speed and have a similar issue with having to give it too much throttle before it down shifts. It's always lugging down. The responsiveness with the 8 speed could be better.

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
My '08 SXT with the 5-speed seemed to have the same thing around 30-40mph. Little power, little bit of drone in the exhaust, and I either had to slowly push the pedal far enough for it to downshift, or get off it and back on it a little faster, and it would bounce down a gear into the power range... Same problem that we have with the Hemis and their MDS...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your car should have a low or sports gear. Drop it in there when you want it to downshift. Helps keep the motor in the power band.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Between throttle-by-wire input lag, the insane averaging they do on the position of the pedal itself (try it... quickly tap the gas up and down and up and down at highway speeds. Nothing happens because it averages out all those pulses), the shift lag, marshmallow-y feel to the shifts, and the torque management, the Charger is seriously unfun to drive without modifications. A tuner can only take you so far, though. If my next car is going to be a Mopar, they were going to have to make some SERIOUS changes to that whole system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to have this exact problem with my 2009 aspen so i would rule out tranny problems, maybe try one of those resets people do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts