Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into installing shorty headers on my 2014 RT, seeing if anyone has had a good experience or performance with certain brands, BBK, JBA, Hooker etc. Looking for an upgrade not replacement. No high flow cats installed yet. Any suggestions are appreciated thanks

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I installed JBA shorty headers (silver ceramic coated). The ceramic coatings are best for keeping the heat down in the engine compartment and longer life for the headers. Use MOPAR OEM 6.1L SRT-8 D-Port Exhaust Manifold (Header) Gasket Set PN: 05038098AA-99AA ... rather than the gaskets that come with the aftermarket headers. The 6.1L gaskets provide a better & longer lasting seal against exhaust leaks.
I chose JBA shorty headers because they are OEM fit (easier install) & if you live in a state that is anal on emission inspections (like California) the JBA shorty will pass inspection.
The quality was real good. I had a custom exhaust shop install them & they were impressed with the quality of the welds, ceramic coating, etc... Took the shop 6 hours to install them ($500.) Getting the factory cast iron manifolds out is a PITA and getting the headers in is a tight squeeze. Installation is from the bottom.
I have a custom tune (91-octane) and after the headers were installed the tuner gave me a updated tune that smoothed out the driveability. The factory log-style exhaust manifolds are too restrictive for the high-flow Eagle heads that are on the 2009+ 5.7L Hemi. The headers let the engine breath much better.
You can get better performance with long tube headers if you're willing to pay the price ... but the shorty headers work fine for a street machine that only has aftermarket bolt-ons (not forced induction, cam, etc ...). I'm happy with the results and glad I did it.

Reactions: HemiStu

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed JBA shorty headers (silver ceramic coated). The ceramic coatings are best for keeping the heat down in the engine compartment and longer life for the headers. Use MOPAR OEM 6.1L SRT-8 D-Port Exhaust Manifold (Header) Gasket Set PN: 05038098AA-99AA ... rather than the gaskets that come with the aftermarket headers. The 6.1L gaskets provide a better & longer lasting seal against exhaust leaks.
I chose JBA shorty headers because they are OEM fit (easier install) & if you live in a state that is anal on emission inspections (like California) the JBA shorty will pass inspection.
The quality was real good. I had a custom exhaust shop install them & they were impressed with the quality of the welds, ceramic coating, etc... Took the shop 6 hours to install them ($500.) Getting the factory cast iron manifolds out is a PITA and getting the headers in is a tight squeeze. Installation is from the bottom.
I have a custom tune (91-octane) and after the headers were installed the tuner gave me a updated tune that smoothed out the driveability. The factory log-style exhaust manifolds are too restrictive for the high-flow Eagle heads that are on the 2009+ 5.7L Hemi. The headers let the engine breath much better.
You can get better performance with long tube headers if you're willing to pay the price ... but the shorty headers work fine for a street machine that only has aftermarket bolt-ons (not forced induction, cam, etc ...). I'm happy with the results and glad I did it.
Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it! Precisely why I’m asking about shortys, unfortunately MA has become strict as hell when it comes to inspections. I’d love to go long tubes but it would be a pain and I don’t feel like dealing with that nonsense. Thanks for the heads up on the gaskets too I’ll look into them.
Talking about the tuner which one did you go with? I’ve been reading mixed reviews about basically every brand, but diablo seems to be the go to from what I’ve seen.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Talking about the tuner which one did you go with?
DiabloSport for the tuning device and HemiFever Tuning for the custom tune. You can check out the HemiFever Tuning website for package prices (DiabloSport device & custom tune) and save some $$$.
I purchased the headers & gasket set from High Horse Performance.
The JBA shorty headers are CARB certified (California Air Resources Board).

I looked up the receipt on the installation and it was $566.00 after tax, shop fees, etc... It was still lower than the $1K to $1.2K for installation quoted by some other exhaust shops. The biggest variable on the installation of the OEM fit shorty headers is the removal of the factory stock exhaust manifold. The heads are aluminum but the manifolds are cast iron. They spray tons of penetrating oil on the bolts for removal but sometimes they have to let it sit for hours (even overnight) for easy removal. They want to avoid breaking any of the bolts off in the head.

https://www.hemifevertuning.com/Default.asp

https://www.highhorseperformance.com/Default.asp

upload_2019-6-9_21-44-44.png

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DiabloSport for the tuning device and HemiFever Tuning for the custom tune. You can check out the HemiFever Tuning website for package prices (DiabloSport device & custom tune) and save some $$$.
I purchased the headers & gasket set from High Horse Performance.
The JBA shorty headers are CARB certified (California Air Resources Board).

I looked up the receipt on the installation and it was $566.00 after tax, shop fees, etc... It was still lower than the $1K to $1.2K for installation quoted by some other exhaust shops. The biggest variable on the installation of the OEM fit shorty headers is the removal of the factory stock exhaust manifold. The heads are aluminum but the manifolds are cast iron. They spray tons of penetrating oil on the bolts for removal but sometimes they have to let it sit for hours (even overnight) for easy removal. They want to avoid breaking any of the bolts off in the head.

https://www.hemifevertuning.com/Default.asp

https://www.highhorseperformance.com/Default.asp

View attachment 92038
Sorry for the delayed response, I did read it over and thank you for the advice! I’ve done some research and I think I’m heading in the right direction, just a matter of setting aside some $$ haha thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you remember the part number for the headers ? And do you have an Instagram I could contact you from??!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts