Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 RT Blacktop
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start modding my car. I’m choosing the short headers because of the torque and we’ll, it’s my DD. No need for top end power.. don’t plan on racing.

looking at bbks short headers with the upgraded gaskets (not the standards gaskets that come with it).

what else would I need to buy? Does it need to be tuned? I’m new to all of this.

·
Registered
2013 R/T Max
578 Posts
If money is no object look for ceramic coated, less heat than chrome.
Headers add more heat under the hood, some use wrap to lessen it.
Go with a brand known for quality welds as that's a common weak point on cheaper ones.
Use Remflex gaskets.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Are there dyno comparisons to show they add torque? Shorties usually just make them easier to bolt in. I watch a lot of the "Engine Masters" show and long tubes are the only reliable thing to add power; properly tuned of course. I guess I'd spend the money on a custom dyno tune, or at least research it first, to see how much it adds. You may be better off with just that.

·
Registered
2017 RT Blacktop
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there dyno comparisons to show they add torque? Shorties usually just make them easier to bolt in. I watch a lot of the "Engine Masters" show and long tubes are the only reliable thing to add power; properly tuned of course. I guess I'd spend the money on a custom dyno tune, or at least research it first, to see how much it adds. You may be better off with just that.
Good question! The only thing I’ve seen is “R/T Life” on YouTube with his dyno that had short headers on and had a 20+ whp gain.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
+1 for JBA ceramic coated shorty header and Mopar OEM 6.1L SRT8 D-Port gaskets.
Tune alterations almost always help
Updated my 91-octane custom tune after installing the headers and it helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts