Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2008 dodge charger sxt and I love this car. It has 185k miles.
Some context first. Around three months ago I started noticing a slow start, so I began to worry about the starter going bust, one good day I parked at a cvs and when I tried to go back home the car didnt start, it didnt even tried to crank, no clicks either, nothing.
At that time I ruled out battery and starter relay, all lights in the car worked, radio, a/c, everything was ok. So I had the car towed to a mechanic who finally confirmed a bad starter and replaced it. After that the car worked perfect for like two months.
This morning when I was on a hurry to catch the train for my daily commute the car was non responsive, symptoms as follows:

-) there was no warning this time, the day before the car was working perfect
-) when I turn the key to start nothing happens and I can only hear a single click coming from the “new” starter, no crank.
-) all lights in the dashboard work fine, car lights are ultra bright and they dont flicker when I try to start the car, radio, air, all ok
-) battery is ruled out and is almost new
-) starter relay works ok since I tested it with a good relay replacement
-) I tried to jump start the car in case of a faulty battery and again nothing happened
-) I did a starter relay bypass with a cable and all I got was the same single click coming from the starter, it didnt crank with this bypass as I was expecting. Bad starter solenoid maybe??

At this point Im a little lost, the starter in this car is not easy to reach so I havent tried hitting it with a hammer.

If the starter solenoid is bust, does it means that the mechanic installed a faulty starter instead of a new one? I ask because this car starter has the solenoid attached to it so I assume it also has to be new.

Please help before I go to complain to the mechanic.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
There's rebuilt, remanufactured and new parts. For a 2008 there may not be any new parts other than new old stock. So replacement parts will probably be rebuilt or remanufactured. A rebuilt part has only the failing/bad parts replaced. A remanufactured part has all the critical parts replaced ... whether they're bad or not. A rebuilt part can have a short life time before it fails again. Depending on the supplier a rebuilt part can be dead-on-arrival.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's rebuilt, remanufactured and new parts. For a 2008 there may not be any new parts other than new old stock. So replacement parts will probably be rebuilt or remanufactured. A rebuilt part has only the failing/bad parts replaced. A remanufactured part has all the critical parts replaced ... whether they're bad or not. A rebuilt part can have a short life time before it fails again. Depending on the supplier a rebuilt part can be dead-on-arrival.
Well, they charged like 300 for the new starter and told me it was a new one, and now I see in autozone they sell a new one for my charger in 240

1 - 3 of 3 Posts