Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought my Charger, the previous owner clearly smoked. I have tried using the febreeze auto odor eliminator, as well as just putting basic air fresheners in the vents and one in the cup holder of my door. I know air fresheners won't get rid of it but just really got tired of smelling it so covering it up is slightly helping at the moment. What is a quick way to get the smell out and gone for good?

·
897 Posts
Hydroxyl or O2 machine rental. It will remove the smell completely. No chemicals and it will also remove any other odors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dollar General - LA's Awesome Cleaner - Spray down all of your cloth interior stuff and scrub with a brush and towel. If your seats are leather, a good leather cleaner with a good scrubbing as well. Change your cabin air filter & then spray your carpet and headliner really well with febreze and leave the doors open for awhile to let it dry some. Wash the interior of the windows really well and that should take care of it!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Something else you may wish to consider is a specific smoke odor eliminator. Some work better than others, and they can usually found at a tobacco shop.

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
27 Posts
We once bought a 69 Tbird at auction for $120. it was locked up with no keys so when we got it home and got keys made we found out why it was such a bargain. Someone had puked between the front seats then closed it up for months before it was towed then stored then sold. Pulled the seats, shampooed the carpets, barely made a dent in the smell. Ozone machine for a weekend helped a little, but on a hot day you could hardly see through your own tears. My dad bought a case of the little ozium spray cans and we developed a routine of getting in the car and misting the interior with ozium before doing anything else. Mom would send us out to spray the car while she was getting her shoes on. After about a year and at least a second case of spray you could still get a slight whiff, especially when you first put the heater or AC on.

You are fighting an up-hill battle because that smoke film will be in all the duct work and will be virtually impossible to get out. But you can make it less noticeable with a good deodorizer. To get it into the duct work, make sure you have things on recirculate, on high, then mist the inside as much as possible to get the deodorizer pulled into the ducts. You will probably not be able to stay in the car while you do this. Make sure you do it for both heat and AC cycles so you get both exchangers with the deodorizer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts