Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RT Max that has to stay parked when the little flakes arrive smh! Too many hills in my neighborhood and can't make it up them. Can I take my car to the dealer drop a couple of grand to convert to AWD?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Don't know if you are serious or not, but most folks that regret buying a 2WD truck and want to look into converting it to 4WD figure out it is cheaper to trade. Generally the front suspension has to have drastic changes, a driveshaft added, and a transfer case installed, not to mention the electronic hardware.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Have you thought about getting a set of winter tires? I just got a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks and am blown away by their performance on the snow. I do have an AWD but I'm sure winter tires could make a big difference for you. You could also try adding some weight to the trunk.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try a nice set of snow tires. A lot of guys at my work drive RWD cars and they throw on snow tires and get around pretty well. Honestly AWD or 4x4 is a creature comfort. It's nice, but I drove 2WD pickup trucks through Iowa winters from 2002-2011 when I got my 4x4 RAM. 4x4 and AWD will get you around nicely but on the same token your brakes still stop the same.

Don't get me wrong I love having 4x4 and AWD, it does make a difference, and it can get you out of the rare times you might get stuck but it's not an absolute necessity unless you live in like Canada, or Alaska where the snow gets real deep.

As for converting your RWD to AWD. Don't even think about it. Much better off trading. It'd cost thousands to convert it with all of the parts and labor involved.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Just this morning Hubby said, "If we're going anywhere we're taking the Charger until I get new tires on the Ram." TorCher's got his snow boots on and it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Take it from me, since I lived in Buffalo/Rochester. Those are some of the most snowy cities in America.

I bought a set of winter tires from Craigslist and put them on my stock rims. I think they were Hankook iPikes. With those tires on all four corners and 140lb of sand in my trunk (right over the axle)... my car made it through up to 2 feet of unplowed snow.
If you get a lot of ice there, then the tires can be studded. I actually would rather drive my Charger with the snow tires than my fiancees 2010 Jeep Wrangler!

We got .5" of snow here in NM once and my all seasons weren't really good on the ICE Albuquerque has, but it only lasted like 10 minutes before it melted.
I still miss my winter tires so much.... Trying to find a way to ship them over to NM even though we get snow/ice like 2 days a year lol.

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
I'm in the Buffalo area and we just got 2+ FEET of snow over the last couple of days. Bought snow tires about a month ago and finally get to use them. Snow tires make a WORLD of difference. Just go buy some. AWD will not be as fun in the summer if you plan on smoking the tires at all, but it's a lot better in the winter. The choice is yours... if you already bought a RWD car, I'd run snows for a year or so until you get some of it paid off and then trade in if you can't deal with RWD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!!!

Ok I won't even try. But I will jump on tire rack to look into some winter tires!!!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Love my studded snow tires. Only the steepest hills are a problem, and then only if you need to stop and start again on the hill. As long as you can keep moving, you won't get stuck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts