Snow Tires?

Discussion in 'All Wheel Drive Chargers' started by 1111GD1111, Aug 9, 2017.

1. 1111GD1111

1111GD1111 New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger AWD
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Hi all,

We live in NW Wisconsin, about 2 hours NE of the Minneapolis airport. Although the last two winters have been poor (meaning low snowfall totals....I LOVE snow!) I still want to get dedicated snow tires for our 2013 AWD Charger we just bought.

Tirerack suggesting going to an 18" rim so a narrower tire can be put on. Thoughts on this?

The Warden will likely NOT approve another set of rims and quite honestly I don't even want to ask. But if I have to I will.

How do the stock 19" wheels plow through the snow? If we stay 19" I will get snow tires for 19" rims/

2. Fastcar

Fastcar New Member Site Supporter Level 2

Vehicle:
    charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2017
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Tire rack, at one time, sold 4 Blizzak tires on steel rims for a real good price.

3. Glenn Litke

Glenn Litke New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2011
    Trim?:
    R/T
    There are 18" AWD police rims you can buy through molar online there is a link for it on the forums here.
    For snow tires i have run Michelin Xice3 on another car here in the Alberta winters and they were decent especially in snow yet rode nicely like an all season on pavement. On ice they had predictable hold and would break loose smoothly yet still try to hold which is nice when cornering, for stopping though they weren't as good as a good studded tire would do IMO but still better way than an all season.
    I am going to try the new Nokian Hakapaliitta studded H9's that they are releasing this September on the Charger, just ordering my winter rims now. Hopefully they will perform awesome with the Chargers AWD system and it's low center of gravity

4. 1111GD1111

1111GD1111 New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger AWD
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    SXT
    You'll LOVE those Nokian's!!! My son has them on his 2008 Blazer and is up in Anchorage, AK. The closest Nokian dealer ot me is 100 miles away....otherwise they'd be on our Charger!

I know about the 18" police rims. I'll have to show the Warden and get her approval, both on the money and looks. :)

5. gotzaRT

gotzaRT Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R/T AWD
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Honestly, 2 sets of rims would be a good thing. You won't have to constantly go back to the tire shop to swap tires and then drag them home and you can take the snow tires/rims off whenever to save the treads on the snow tires if it's just not snowing.

6. stormr

stormr New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger AWD
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    I just use my stock rims and a set of continental winter contact tires, they work great.