Solo Exhaust Drone Solution

Discussion in '2014 Dodge Charger Forum' started by frenchie, Dec 5, 2017.

1. frenchie

frenchie New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger RT AWD
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    R/T
    So I put a Solo exhaust on my 2014 RT AWD a couple months ago. Solo uses a "J" pipe to replace the resonator, i want back twice for J pipe adjustment. The first adjustment helped the MDS drone but it was still pretty loud. The second adjustment dropped the tone of the entire exhaust from idle all the way through to WOT but did not help the drone.
    Solo has now produced a spring loaded exhaust throttling device (not sure what the real term is for them) but they create a variable exhaust pipe dimension depending on exhaust gas flow. When on 8 cyl and with foot on the gas the valve is full open and when the MDS kicks in and exhaust flow drops the spring closes down the exhaust pipe dimension to tune it to the 4 cylinder operation. Apparently this is a copy of what Dodge has on the new V8's with MDS.
    The drone is effectively gone and the car is SO MUCH better on the highway under lite to mid throttle. It works well, haven't seen any performance differences. I recorded my 3 month fuel use average and now I will do the same to see if there is any fuel consumption difference.
    All in all i am impressed with how the Solo guys have been on this and have helped out without question and without additional costs.

Attached Files:

B4TD4D and GMAC like this.
  2. B4TD4D

B4TD4D Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2015
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Wow, that's an awesome product! You were able to purchase this by itself?

3. frenchie

frenchie New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger RT AWD
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    R/T
    I don't know, you can try calling Mufflerman at 716-873-0440, they are the install shop adjoined and affiliated with Solo in Buffalo NY.

4. B4TD4D

B4TD4D Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2015
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Oh I see, thanks for the info! This could be a great option for those w/o active exhaust. Especially if this can be added to other aftermarket exhausts.

So no wiring or anything like that? It works soley based on exhaust backpressure?

5. frenchie

frenchie New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger RT AWD
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Yes it is a spring loaded flap that works exclusively off of exhaust gas pressure & velocity.

Texas Mopar 11 and B4TD4D like this.