Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster. Just got a new charger was browsing the forumz.

Has anyone ever installed a spoiler using 3m tape?

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Hi Thanks, I was thinking of putting the srt8 spoiler on with 3m tape just incase I want to change it out if I get bored of em or something new comes out. I have read they are pretty sturdy.
Aint no way I would risk it. That has disaster written all over it. IMO

·
Registered
498 Posts
Aint no way I would risk it. That has disaster written all over it. IMO
Agreed. I've used some of the strongest 3M tape you can buy on my previous car's body mods plus some screws and I ended up having to take the pieces off again because the 3M tape started to fail after a year.

If you're going to do body mods, do them right :TU:

·
Registered
835 Posts
My Zenon spoiler came with 3M tape and is supposed to be okay with it. It is a true spoiler as opposed to a wing and the entire lower surface rests on the trunk lid. Still even with all that surface area, no way I was going to trust tape alone. I had the body shop install 4 bolts in addition to the tape to hold it down. There is a lot of wind stress on a spoiler and it needs to be secure otherwise, it could be going through someone's windshield.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wouldn't trust the tape holding the spoiler on the freeway. Perhaps somehow attaching a magnet onto the legs of the spoiler and placing another magnet under from the trunk? :D Just a random idea lol. :3-smash:

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
If it was some after market low profile rear spoiler that made contact all along the trunk, that may be another story. But in all seriousness, I would be afraid to use tape with just two contact points with a spoiler this large. I keep thinking if it was going to go, and it fell off when the trunk was opened, bam, broken rear window. Or hitting the car while moving, or hitting another car while moving.
I would think it through, and if I went with a spoiler, go 100% commitment and bolt it to stay.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Man I would never take a chance with tape holding on parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts