Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes on my 09 R/T are squeaking and all my Pads are at 70%. I only have 30K miles on it. I have heard the R/T's are known for this, but has anyone found a fix for this.

·
Vendor
757 Posts
My brakes on my 09 R/T are squeaking and all my Pads are at 70%. I only have 30K miles on it. I have heard the R/T's are known for this, but has anyone found a fix for this.
Try doing any typical break-in procedure:

40-5 mph Hard slow down
60-5 mph moderate slow down
40-5 mph Hard slow down

Do this about twice, drive your car for about 10 minutes before parking.

If this does not help, get new pads that are less noisy.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I had the same exact issue.
I purchased the Wagner Thermo Quiet ceramic pads. I also put some anit-squeel on the back of the pads. Its some red liquid in a bottle. Apply on the back of pads. That did the trick for me.
Some new rotors may help also. I have the Powerslot slotted rotors.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine do the same - I bought the car with ~27k on it with both sets squeaking and told the dealership to fix the brakes before I bought. They said the "resurfaced" whatever the means and said due to metallic in the brakes they are going to do that. I said that's horseshit to suggest the brakes are made to squeak, but they had stopped, but they started again a while back.

I hit my brakes every single day, I don't see how going out and doing a "break in" series will make a difference.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine do the same - I bought the car with ~27k on it with both sets squeaking and told the dealership to fix the brakes before I bought. They said the "resurfaced" whatever the means and said due to metallic in the brakes they are going to do that. I said that's horseshit to suggest the brakes are made to squeak, but they had stopped, but they started again a while back.

I hit my brakes every single day, I don't see how going out and doing a "break in" series will make a difference.
If you don't know what resurfacing is I guess we can't expect you to know why breaking in the pads would help.:3-smash:

Reactions: Gregc6180

·
Registered
208 Posts
You're welcome to educate me, old timer. I wasn't referring to new pads or rotors, I'm talking about brakes with X thousand miles on them and eventually start squeaking.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You're welcome to educate me, old timer. I wasn't referring to new pads or rotors, I'm talking about brakes with X thousand miles on them and eventually start squeaking.
Overheated pads harden and crystallize. This glazing occurs on the rotors as well. The squealing sound is a result of these super hardened surfaces coming in contact with one another. It is the friction created by the brake pad against the rotor that stops a vehicle. When crystallization of pad and rotor occurs, there is much less friction. This results in diminished braking power and squealing brakes. The heat cycling from bedding in old pads breaks away the glaze.....punk.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hah, nicely done.

So you're saying you have to break-in brakes more than just when they're new...?

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
The stock brakes stink and they are known for making noise, hell mine started at 7,000 miles.. I replaced my rotors with R1 premium slotted and cross drilled rotors and their pads, problem solved for good.. I now have 30,000 on my R1s and they are still quiet... Give Steve at R1 a call, he will take good care of you.. I run R1s on both my cars and my brothers car, with the same results..:TU:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hah, nicely done.

So you're saying you have to break-in brakes more than just when they're new...?
Seriously though, it's actually called bedding them in and yes it will help with the squeal for a while. I am at 29,000 miles and am going to R1 slotted rotors and Satisfied Pro ceramic pads before winter (big ole box in my trunk).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts