Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any starter issues of any kind at all?

I have not heard of anyone's headers causing starter issues like cars of old has anyone else?

Tried to start the car up this morning and it took forever. I thought I needed a jump at first. hooked up the cables waited and nothing. Kept trying and trying and each time it would try to start just a bit more by more until she started to crank over. by the time the car turned over enough to start the car, there was smoke comming from the starter area. Got the car started no more smoke from the starter. went back to disconnect the jumper cables and the ground wire was OMG hot I could swear I saw a bit of smoke from the fuse box by the battery, I really don't see how or think the starter smoke could have crept back there.

Anyone got anything on this? I'm pretty confused with this one and haven't been back out to check on it yet?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anyone had any starter issues of any kind at all?

I have not heard of anyone's headers causing starter issues like cars of old has anyone else?

Tried to start the car up this morning and it took forever. I thought I needed a jump at first. hooked up the cables waited and nothing. Kept trying and trying and each time it would try to start just a bit more by more until she started to crank over. by the time the car turned over enough to start the car, there was smoke comming from the starter area. Got the car started no more smoke from the starter. went back to disconnect the jumper cables and the ground wire was OMG hot I could swear I saw a bit of smoke from the fuse box by the battery, I really don't see how or think the starter smoke could have crept back there.

Anyone got anything on this? I'm pretty confused with this one and haven't been back out to check on it yet?

Check your ground cables, especially around the starter , If you have a DVOM check the resistance on the ground side , did you out the heat shield back on when you installed the headers ( im assuming you have shorti headers ?) If the grounds check out , see what kind of amp draw you are pulling with starter

Bill

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are Long tubes so I don't have the heat shield anymore. They are ceramic coated headers to keep the heat down though. How would I check ground with a meter?

·
Registered
151 Posts
These are Long tubes so I don't have the heat shield anymore. They are ceramic coated headers to keep the heat down though. How would I check ground with a meter?

you can measure the resistence between a known ground point and the point you want to test -- the circuit MUST be unpowered in this case (The reading should be close to zero ohms).

Bill

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well went out there and she started right up as if she didn't have any issues at all? I'm lost? Maybe I'll start keeping a meter in the car just in case. I asked my neighbor about it and he will be asking the head tech he works with at the dealer.

Thank you for the help it is much appreciated. I hope it was just a fluke thing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts