Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Charger RT 5.7 that’s giving me a new issue. The new issue is not wanting to start. When I try to start it, it gives a slow crank and just stops with a click. When I try to start it again it just clicks once and it doesn’t start. If it sits for a while I may end up starting like it did this morning but it usually doesn’t. I’ve replaced the battery and the alternator is running at nominal operation. I’ve looked to see if anyone else is having the same issue and seen that some 5.7 owners are having difficulties with the starter. Can anyone shine some light on the situation? Keep in mind I still have error code P121b registering, could that be a cause of this?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi James, I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your Charger. If you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here, I kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, our team is available via private message.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
When I try to start it, it gives a slow crank and just stops with a click. When I try to start it again it just clicks once and it doesn’t start. If it sits for a while I may end up starting
The symptoms are very similar to a bad starter or bad starter wiring connection. Check all the wiring connections to the starter for damage, corrosion, loose connection, etc... If all the wiring/connectors are good then it's probably the starter.

P121B - Active Exhaust Valve 2 Performance
I would not expect this to be connected with the starter problem unless there's a wiring harness/connector issue or undercarriage damage that's affecting them both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
get a piece of wire, take out the starter relay in the front under hood fuse box, look at the relay diagram printed on the relay itself, then using the wire stick one end in the relay prong of the fusebox prong(indicated by 30 on the relay diagram) and the other end into (87) prong. your essentially directing power manually to the starter, the starter should engage if its just clicking not cranking the engine.. 99% sure the starter has gone bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
get a piece of wire, take out the starter relay in the front under hood fuse box, look at the relay diagram printed on the relay itself, then using the wire stick one end in the relay prong of the fusebox prong(indicated by 30 on the relay diagram) and the other end into (87) prong. your essentially directing power manually to the starter, the starter should engage if it clicking 99% the starter has gone bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts