Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i changed the steering rack on my dodge charger everything was working fine but it was leaking powersteering fluid so i decided to change it but after replacing it my “service power steering” light came on and my steering wheel is hard to turn anyone know what could be the issue now

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Could be the fluid in the Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) pump is low (empty) or there's air in the system. Check the power steering fuses in the front fuse box (engine bay).
I'm not sure which remove/install instructions you used when you replaced the steering rack, purged the EHPS pump, etc... but it may be worth the time to go back through the procedures to ensure you didn't miss something. You can refer to the Chilton Library (free access) if you don't have a Dodge Service Manual.

https://www.roswell-nm.gov/1112/Chilton-Auto-Repair-Library

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so i got it to work but now my steering is getting hard to turn when im at a stop or in a parking lot and when i hit the gas the powersteering kicks in inwas thinking maybe it was the fluid i used but what do you think???

Could be the fluid in the Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) pump is low (empty) or there's air in the system. Check the power steering fuses in the front fuse box (engine bay).
I'm not sure which remove/install instructions you used when you replaced the steering rack, purged the EHPS pump, etc... but it may be worth the time to go back through the procedures to ensure you didn't miss something. You can refer to the Chilton Library (free access) if you don't have a Dodge Service Manual.

https://www.roswell-nm.gov/1112/Chilton-Auto-Repair-Library

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The EHPS pump requires a different power steering fluid. Do not mix power steering fluid types. The EHPS system uses fluid which meets material specification MS-11655 or equivalent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The EHPS pump requires a different power steering fluid. Do not mix power steering fluid types. The EHPS system uses fluid which meets material specification MS-11655 or equivalent.
Is there any aftermarket fluid for this im using the lucas powersteering

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know how many oz i would need dealership told me they have 10oz bottles for $25
How many bottles would i need???

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I'm not sure how many ounces the reservoir holds. The bottles I have seen are 1 qt (32 oz) but a drain/refill typically uses about a 1/2 of the bottle (~16 oz). If the Parts Dept does not know the capacity of the reservoir you can ask the Service Dept. how much they use when they install a new EHPS pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts