Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, having issues with the left side of steering wheel navigation buttons on my 2014 dodge charger rt, everything works except the buttons on the face of the steering wheel (left side) I have no air bag light on and the horn works and every other button works... could it still be the clock spring?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) control switch pod is located in the left spoke of the steering wheel spoke bezel. The EVIC control switch pod provides hard wired inputs to the Local Interface Network (LIN) slave node. The LIN slave node communicates the switch states of the EVIC control switch pod, the remote radio switches, the paddle shifter switches and the horn switch over the LIN data bus to the Steering Control Module (SCM), which is the LIN master node.
The clock spring is part of the SCM. If your horn works, then the problem is not the SCM/clock-spring or the LIN. It's most likely the EVIC control switch pod.

The following test confirms only correct EVIC switch pod functions. It does not test or confirm any of the LIN slave node inputs, outputs or functions. LIN slave node testing requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool.

Remove the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) switch pod from the steering wheel.
Disconnect the steering wheel wire harness connector from the back of the EVIC switch pod.
Using an ohmmeter, test the resistance between the terminals of the switch as shown below.

upload_2019-9-17_22-7-8.png

upload_2019-9-17_22-8-13.png

If the switch fails any of the tests, replace the EVIC switch pod.

Reactions: Teejay1976

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow djbalin thanks allot for the info its greatly appreciated I just hope I can figure out exactly what your saying that's a whole lot of info lol but I'm definitely gonna take your word as I can see u know exactly what you talking about, what does evic pod cost roughly?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just trying to find a video explaining how to do what u suggested... I'm taking it the steering wheel needs to come off?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Steering wheel does not need to be removed.

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
From the back of the steering wheel, access and remove the screw that secures the left spoke front bezel to the steering wheel.
From the face of the steering wheel, pull the outboard side of the front spoke bezel up from the steering wheel far enough to disengage the lip on the inboard side of the bezel from under the edge of the driver airbag trim cover.
Pull the front spoke bezel away from the steering wheel far enough to access and disconnect the electrical connector from the receptacle.
From the back of the bezel, remove the three screws that secure the mounting adapter plate to the bezel.
Remove the mounting adapter plate and switch from the bezel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome thanks so much for the info I owe ya one seems pretty straight forward and I will keep u posted on the outcome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts