Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, when I make a turn my Steering Wheel makes a squeaking noise like it needs some lube somewhere. It is not a power steering whine. It seems like it coming from inside the car like right at the wheel. I tried adjusting the height on it a few times and it still happens. Does anyone know if the actual wheel needs lube and if so How do I apply it and what kind of lube?

· Registered
90 Posts
This is a really easy fix. You will need a tube of plastic bushing lubricant (part #68028730AA) from the dealership; it will cost ~$11 with tax. Aside from that all you need is a phillips screw driver and and a 10mm socket.

Sorry I don't have pictures, but it is pretty self-explanatory.

1) Open the driver's door and you will see a piece of plastic trim (~1' long) running up along side the dash. Gently work your fingers in behind it and pull straight out. This exposes one of two screws holding the lower dash panel in place.

2) Remove the two screws from the lower dash (the one you just exposed and the second is next to the OBDII port directly below the steering wheel.

3) Gently grab the lower dash panel at the bottom and pull straight out to release the clips holding it in. Be careful as the trunk release wires are not real long. Once you have released the clips, you will be able to disconnect the trunk release and set the lower dash panel aside.

4) Directly below the steering wheel is a metal plate held in place with four 10mm bolts. Remove those and set the metal plate aside. You should be able to look down inside to see the black boot riding on the white plastic cup).

5) There is a black fabric-like piece (hush panel) covering the bottom of the dash. It is held in with two push pins pressed into the bottom of the square metal tube you have exposed. Gently pull down around the push pins to release the hush panel and pull it out.

6) Reach up through the bottom of the dash and slide the black rubber boot off of the white plastic cup (towards the firewall). Wipe the white cup down with a paper towel and apply a small amount of the lubricant. Slide the black boot back over the cup.

7) Reassemble everything.

This whole process took me about 20 mins. I was outside in the parking lot, and I'm not a contortionist. You might be able to start at step 5 if you can get the hush panel off and contort yourself to see what you are doing under the dash.

Anyway, for 20 mins and $11 my steering is whisper quiet again.

· Registered
90 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of grease it is. I will look at the tube when I get home and see if it tells me anything. It has the consistency and appearance of Vaseline, but when I wiped the excess off my finger it left a shiny grey graphite-like residue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.