Steering wheel vibration while braking

Discussion in 'Charger Performance Mods - Engine - SXT - 3.5L' started by Maxxheadroom, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Maxxheadroom

Maxxheadroom New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Color?:
    Silver Steel
    While generally this is caused by have rotor runout (warped brake rotors) this wasn't the issue in my case. As soon as I started feeling my steering wheel vibrating I pulled the front brakes had the rotors turned, and new pads. Got everything back together and I still had the exact same problem, so back up in the air the Charger goes. I started poking around and found my outer tie rods are shot, they are allowing my tires to rattle a bit while braking. I have replacements on order, should be in next week I am going to do inners while I am in there. Total cost with shipping was $42.00 for inner, and outer on both sides. That included shipping! I was pretty happy with that price. Anyway I thought I would give you guys a heads up shaking steering wheel does not always mean warped rotors.

Ronald Shockley and Chargeyota like this.
  2. ryandubbz

ryandubbz Member

Vehicle:
    SC AWD 3.5L SE+
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Has the Tie Rod replacement fixed your issue? Ive been having this steering wheel shake for awhile now, Once I get up to around 60mph its really bad. Ive had tie rod replaced, new rotors, new brakes, new wheel bearing hub assembly, new tires, alignment. Steering wheel still vibrates back and forth.. Really sickening.... Anything else this could be?

3. Maxxheadroom

Maxxheadroom New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Color?:
    Silver Steel
    Replacing inner and outer tie rod ends did in fact remedy my shaking steering wheel problem. Now if I could just narrow down where the mystery clunk when I go over bumps from the front end is coming from... But my steering feels nice and tight!

4. Lakona

Lakona Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    The clunk is usually associated with control arms. My 06 SXT kept throwing lower control arms and my 10 SXT is starting to do the same. The rubber bushings aren't serviceable and dry out/crack allowing too much play over bumps. I'd recommend starting there.

5. sointense

sointense New Member

Vehicle:
    06 Charger 3.5
    The clunk in my case (2006 SE) came from the stabilizer bushing. Cheap easy fix. Drove me nuts for a long time

6. sc.charger

sc.charger Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2017
    Trim?:
    Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Custom paint
    I had the inner tie rod bushings on the rack side go bad(real bad)while on a trip on my intrepid. It would shake horribly