Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been hearing mixed reviews in regards to the 5.7 redline limit, some say stay with the 5700rpm limit, some say you can safely raise it to 6000rpm without damaging the valve springs, i know the 6400rpm is way over limit, but is 6000 safe zone or danger zone?

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
I've raised mine and have not had issues? but I've heard both arguments. On a Dyno it should show a decrease in power but on the track I believe it shows something different? I have 6.1 springs now so I'm not too concerned with it anymore.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Only sharing my experience as another reference point ---- even after having LT headers, hi-flow cats, and a cam, the redline was still dyno tuned set at 5500. However, then had the 5.7 intake replaced with a 6.1 intake manifold......now the dyno tune set redline at 6500.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Read this thread Mike from Diablosport chimed in on this very question.

[URL]http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58237&highlight=raise&page=2[/URL]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnake
Question Mike, if the peak power on a stock 5.7 is 5400 rpm's why raise the limiter.

Can you elaborate on this? I usually don't advise people to raise the limiter on a stock engine unless certain upgrades have been performed--like valvesprings.

Originally Posted by bigsnake
My point exactly, I'm sure we have members raising the limit just because they can which is not productive.

Ah, then I did infer your meaning correctly. It's Monday and the synapses are a little staticy. I explain to people on the phone quite frequently that if you're far enough past the torque curve of the camshaft, beating up the valvetrain won't do you much good.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
There is nothing unsafe about Redlining @ 6K

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
I believe we all agee it is safe to do. Only thing it does is beat up the valve train up for NO reason at all if you have a stock motor.

now that I know the stock 5.7 doesn't make any more power past 5400RPM's it kinda makes no sense to raise it right?

Or is there a different argument not covered in Diablo and Bigsnake's post up above?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Keep in mind the Daiblo works with the PCM and shouldn't allow you to raise it farther than the safest point. Or at least that's my understanding of the tuner.

Also, as already mentioned, without some serious mods it is pointless to raise the redline limit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts