Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a product to help remove old sun-baked vinyl adhesive / lines? I removed the factory dual racing stripes about 2 years ago. Nothing showed and was left behind when I removed them, but after about a year, the "stripes" started reappearing. I've tried wax, wd40, clay bar, adhesive remover.. nothing works. Is this a lost cause i have to just deal with?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm sorry to say it, but you may be dealing with damaged paint. Unless you bought your car new, kept it out of the sun, and removed the decals before too much time went by, you often have to repaint where the decals were.

To find out for sure, pick up a can of 3M Adhesive Remover. It comes in a few different flavors but the most common one is probably the 12 oz. spray, #03618. You can also pick up a scraper and some plastic razor blades for any really stubborn residue. A heat gun on low might also be helpful, but don't spend too much time on any one spot.

There are also "decal remover eraser wheels" like 3M's Stripe-Off that work very well, but I'm not sure I'd go that route in your case.

Once every trace of remover is gone, you could try polishing (not waxing) with an orbital polisher like the Porter-Cable 7424XP (or a cheap Harbor Freight knockoff) and some Meguiars M105 Ultra-Cut. After adhesive removal and polishing, you can look it over and decide whether or not you want to repaint.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the report! I've tried the 3M adhesive remover. No luck. Doesn't even touch it. I didn't even think about damaged paint. Ugh....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, if the paint is ruined, not good. Have you tried WD-40? Naptha (Benzine)? Both have worked well on this, if it is actually adhesive. Goof Off has ruined surfaces for me though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone suggest a product to help remove old sun-baked vinyl adhesive / lines? I removed the factory dual racing stripes about 2 years ago. Nothing showed and was left behind when I removed them, but after about a year, the "stripes" started reappearing. I've tried wax, wd40, clay bar, adhesive remover.. nothing works. Is this a lost cause i have to just deal with? View attachment 118826
Yes, if the paint is ruined, not good. Have you tried WD-40? Naptha (Benzine)? Both have worked well on this, if it is actually adhesive. Goof Off has ruined surfaces for me though.
Hi, I just saw your post under my question. Is this on a windshield or paint? I may have a solution. I stumbled upon myself but you
will have to test patch it. Believe it or not I had to get tar off something and i grabbed some hydrogen peroxide when I thought I grabbed rubbing alcohol! It cleaned tar off better than anything else. I was impressed. So I say try some on a rag full strength .. hey it may be a simple cheap solution ! Let me know! I know rubbing alcohol takes off tape residue but not sure on a painted car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I just saw your post under my question. Is this on a windshield or paint? I may have a solution. I stumbled upon myself but you
will have to test patch it. Believe it or not I had to get tar off something and i grabbed some hydrogen peroxide when I thought I grabbed rubbing alcohol! It cleaned tar off better than anything else. I was impressed. So I say try some on a rag full strength .. hey it may be a simple cheap solution ! Let me know! I know rubbing alcohol takes off tape residue but not sure on a painted car.
It's on the paint. Nor sure what that was on the window in the pic...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try it .. it's only hydrogen peroxide. May not hurt the paint. Patch test. What do you have to lose? It may work. Or try olive oil. Oil takes off wax we use at the salon for waxing services. Removes hair wax off surfaces and such and may work. Other than that I'm out of suggestions. But sometimes the simplest home remedies work better than anything else. Actually I used olive oil to clean my dull head lights with. It was better than spending over 60.00 for the place to do it. Good luck.
It's on the paint. Nor sure what that was on the window in the pic...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try it .. it's only hydrogen peroxide. May not hurt the paint. Patch test. What do you have to lose? It may work. Or try olive oil. Oil takes off wax we use at the salon for waxing services. Removes hair wax off surfaces and such and may work. Other than that I'm out of suggestions. But sometimes the simplest home remedies work better than anything else. Actually I used olive oil to clean my dull head lights with. It was better than spending over 60.00 for the place to do it. Good luck.
Thank you! I'll give peroxide a shot.. if it doesn't work, prob need to repaint anyway!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts