Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
New guy checking here

I currently have a 2014 R/T AWD. I'm looking to put a supercharger in it. Really the only application I found is from Edelbrock

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1534/10002/-1

I was wondering if anybody had any luck or experience with this system?

Are there other superchargers available for the all-wheel drive?

Thanks in advance

Check out daslammas on youtube, he has a 14 with a pro charger. As far as the awd aspect, I dont think that really matters for supercharger selection. Any kit made for an r/t should work.

Reactions: Pro64

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. After doing some research and talking with the shop doing the work, I decided to go with a Whipple kit.
The shop is the same one that daslammas used. They are doing a custom tune because its awd. I've heard mix things about Edelbrock thus I went with a Whipple. Hey its only money right?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for your input. After doing some research and talking with the shop doing the work, I decided to go with a Whipple kit.
The shop is the same one that daslammas used. They are doing a custom tune because its awd. I've heard mix things about Edelbrock thus I went with a Whipple. Hey its only money right?
Nice! I've been looking into the whipple recently, gotta bank some cash first though lol. Let me know how it goes and if you can provide awdhp dyno numbers before and after!

Reactions: Pro64

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! I've been looking into the whipple recently, gotta bank some cash first though lol. Let me know how it goes and if you can provide awdhp dyno numbers before and after!
daslammas has a procharger on his car and if I didn't go with the Whipple I would have chosen a procharger however the price point wasn't all that much difference. I will update once my car in completed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
daslammas has a procharger on his car and if I didn't go with the Whipple I would have chosen a procharger however the price point wasn't all that much difference. I will update once my car in completed.
Yeah I've been following his build for a while now, initially I was thinking pro charger, but now I'm leaning towards the whipple for the instant boost and the sound lol. Plus they seem to have the most impressive/reliable hp numbers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Curious about supercharger on the 5.7 CMS (Cylinder Management System)? Is that a concern , or does the computer just reconfig itself?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it effects that (car still goes into eco mode) and normal mode. My supercharger was installed, I will post more on the results later in the week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So basically I had a whipple supercharger installed on my vehicle. While others have installed a supercharger on 5.7 engine, my understanding is all wheel drive supercharged is rare. I hope share my insights with others who are considering it.
First, as mentioned above daslammas on YouTube is a good starting point for referencing questions regarding supercharged all wheel drive chargers.
Second, I chose Whipple because their application is specifically designed for all wheel drive Chargers. Procharger can fit all awds too however Whipple specifically said it supports awd chargers.
Third, I did upgrade fuel system, added oil cooler, a water/meth kit, a 160 thermostat and the shop that installed the supercharger also did a custom tune on it.
Results:

Before install:
(keep in mind this is 6000 above sea level)

310 horsepower
333 torque

After around 6 psi

433 horsepower
450 torque

I've attached the dyno results here, you noticed that the torque band increases almost immediately

I've run into a couple problems as well, the water pump needed to be changed out as the pulley failed and was kicking the new belt off and my check engine is on because of the o2 sensors which I need to do some troubleshooting on to figure out if they need to be replaced.

I'd also recommend anybody who does supercharged they're all wheel drive car get a tazer because it makes switching between awd and rwd easier. When I want to drive it hard I keep in in awd all the time.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know as I've left a bunch of detail out. I'll do my best to answer them keep it in mind I'm certainly not a full-time mechanic.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’m toying with the idea of either moving to a used Scat Pack, or supercharging my ‘14 R/T AWD. I don’t live in snow country anymore (used to live in Eagle County), but I really like having an AWD Charger. It just needs a bit more power :).
Now that you’ve lived with your supercharged AWD for awhile, I’d be interested in hearing how you like it, and how reliable it’s been.
Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First, I should say I really enjoy my supercharger and I would do it again.
I love the idea of AWD hellcat but of course they don't make them so I view this as the next best thing. It's a fun daily driver.

In terms of problems I've had a few. When I first got my supercharger the belt kept slipping because of the water pump. The shop that installed the supercharger replaced the water pump and the belt has stayed on ever since.
However Mopar in their infinite wisdom redesign their new water pump and for some weird reason, it doesn't seem to have the same capacity as the older water pump. This is led to the car running a little warm on hot days, roughly 225 degrees.
The shop is looking for a solution to this, they are toying with the idea of putting a shroud around the fan. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know as I'm open to listening to them as well.

I should say I'm not the only charger affected by this as it's also affects all 5.7 models with the newer water pump that were replaced. It is also NOT supercharger specific, as both Whipple and Procharger cars are having the same issue of running warm. The short-term solution is to run without air conditioning on really hot days.

Other than that I haven't had any issues. I do suspect further down the line I will probably have to replace the cam and the lifters as there it's a known issue with the 5.7 failing. The shop I went to also recommended that at some point I replace the bottom end of the motor, rods and pistons.

I also suspect they'll be things that I don't know about yet because of the very nature of an after market supercharger stresses normal engine parts.The big thing the shop has recommended is that I use synthetic oil and I change it out every 3000 miles.
If anyone has any other questions please feel free and post them and I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the reply. You raise some good points about the cam and bottom end, and the water pump capacity. Hadn’t really put those into the equation.

It’s tempting, though. Basically my Charger is a weekend driver, as I have a company car for commuting. I don’t anticipate wanting to go to the track, nor do I see hard acceleration from a standing start. I suppose that could change after the mod, but my thought is that I would be comparatively easy on my car.

Just curious, now that you’re running premium, is the gas mileage worse across the board, or just when you have your foot in it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Obviously it takes premium octane gas 91+, gas mileage is maybe a little worse however to your point a lot of it is how you drive it.
I'm certainly not telling you what to do, but I really enjoy my supercharger mod. There arent a lot of supercharged AWD out there, so you would be in a unique club for sure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
After contacting four shops in Virginia about the install, I settled on National Speed in Richmond. They are not the cheapest, but seem to have the most experience with Mopars, and have a 4wd dyno, which is somewhat unusual.

They tell me I don’t need any additional mods with the SC kit. So my plan is to run it bone stock, other than the SC, for now.

I will ask them about the pistons/cam, though.
I’m going to give it another week before pulling the trigger. Updates to follow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you doing the right thing, cheapest is not always the best. Go with people who know our cars!
What kind of supercharger are you getting?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’m going with the Whipple, in part based on your experience, reading online, and National Speed’s recommendation. They’ve installed quite a few of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats great, are they going to do a custom tune on it or are they going to use Whipples can tune?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts