Dodge Charger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is there a reason they cut it out so early? Any 5.7 customer at my shop that gets a blower/cam/intake or any upgrade that benefits 5500+ RPM I strongly recommend bumping shift points up. You're giving up a ton of power under the curve by not revving that thing. Minimal TCM tuning for a huge gain in powerband.
I have no idea why; I’ll ask.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have no idea why; I’ll ask.
I'm honestly surprised they didn't use it as an opportunity to sell more services. Not sure if you're kit came with a fuel pump upgrade, but I know you'd be running out of pump at your point if not upgraded. But again, something you'd want to offer the customer a chance to upgrade I'd think. But it's not even about selling the extra work, I recommend it just because it seems dumb to do all that work just to give up massive powerband over a minimal cost TCM flash or a 1 hour fuel pump install. They don't do much mopar stuff though so they may just not know what to recommend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is one from last week I had come in, 5.7 stock cam with a P1 procharger. Guy bought it already built, the black line, the previous owner had left a ton on the table by not upgrading the fuel pump. Upgrading the fuel pump to allow proper fueling (it was leaning out) and bumping the shifts allowed it to go from the black line to the pink line. So you can see what kind of powerband is being missed out on at 5500+ RPM

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Give us the seat of the pants report. You are AWD so maybe you don't want to shift @6k but tell us what you you see on the tach on the 1-2 shift.
I'm glad to see a sealed airbox instead of an open cone filter hot air intake.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Drive it a while, take notes and consult your installer. They can behave differently on the street than the dyno and get some adjustments. I'm sure he let you know that.

Reactions: MtnRT

·
Registered
126 Posts
Drive it a while, take notes and consult your installer. They can behave differently on the street than the dyno and get some adjustments. I'm sure he let you know that.
He basically said that. Also, not to get too hung up on trying to wring the last bit of power from it, but to see how it drives and let them know. This may have been their first AWD Charger, but they have apparently done quite a few 5.7 Mopars.

My goal was to come up with a ~500 hp, reliable daily driver, and it appears that they delivered on that.

I took it for a 50 mile drive today, about half of which was on interstate and half on two-lane rural roads. It was an eye-opening experience. Clearly I need some quality time with this car to adapt to all the new power on tap.

The next couple of weeks should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
What you will learn eventually is how to drive it without boosting to save gas for normal everyday driving.
That's what I like about my boost gauge, it has a button to display the last peak boost. A long press clears it.
I don't have to stare at it, just press the button to see my highest boost between the last time I cleared it.
The vacuum numbers help one to drive for mpg too.
But I didn't put it on to save gas eh? However if I drive it easy she doesn't show a major hit for doing the install.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, I finally heard back from the shop, and the boost is 11 psi.
I replied that I have heard, anecdotally, at least, that sort of boost can lead to problems with the stock internals; and that I hoped that they had thoroughly researched this and I am needlessly concerned.

It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

·
Registered
45 Posts
that is a lot of boost on the stock motor, but I will say the 5.7 pistons are stronger than the 6.4 pistons. the 6.4 pistons are what scares most people, we usually don't go past 8 PSI on stock 6.4 pistons, most of the stock 5.7 stuff people like to stick to 8ish as well, but I've been up to 16-17PSI on stock 6.1s, but that was on race fue, usually 11-12 is as high as we go on 93 on stock 6.1s. On pump gas I probably would have set the boost a bit lower. I have been up to 670ish whp on stock bottom end 5.7s with prochargers at 9-10 PSI.

·
Registered
126 Posts
that is a lot of boost on the stock motor, but I will say the 5.7 pistons are stronger than the 6.4 pistons. the 6.4 pistons are what scares most people, we usually don't go past 8 PSI on stock 6.4 pistons, most of the stock 5.7 stuff people like to stick to 8ish as well, but I've been up to 16-17PSI on stock 6.1s, but that was on race fue, usually 11-12 is as high as we go on 93 on stock 6.1s. On pump gas I probably would have set the boost a bit lower. I have been up to 670ish whp on stock bottom end 5.7s with prochargers at 9-10 PSI.
Seems like a lot of boost. I'll be running strictly on pump gas, 93, and not running it hard.

The shop said power + reliability, so I took their word for it.

As I said, I'll be interested in their reply to my email.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Uh oh yeah, get gauges. Something is off. I would think 11 psi would be more HP than your showing.
Staying tuned, pun yes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Uh oh yeah, get gauges. Something is off. I would think 11 psi would be more HP than your showing.
Staying tuned, pun yes.
I know you posted pics of your gauge setup on another forum, but can't find it at the moment. Would you mind doing so here? Which gauges do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know you posted pics of your gauge setup on another forum, but can't find it at the moment. Would you mind doing so here? Which gauges do you prefer and why?
Never mind. I found it. The question of installation still stands, though. Seems like something I could do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The shop replied, and after talking with the tuning team again, confirmed that it was 10 psi, no 11.

They think it has something to do with the stock headers and cats creating back pressure, resulting in higher manifold pressure. The rep assured me that the timing and knock issues were closely monitored during the tune, and that there were no problems. He said to always use 93 octane fuel (which I have done for two tankfuls prior to the install), do the normal maintenance, and it should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Never mind. I found it. The question of installation still stands, though. Seems like something I could do.
It's an adventure, I found the location so desirable for my taste I didn't let anything stop me.
I pulled the rubber out and drilled a 1/2 hole and used SS wire to fish things through.
There is a hole in the firewall for the shifter cable that can be used to enter the cabin.

I've been doing these kind of things with my vehicles for decades.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Yeh, don't panic, just find a way to confirm, get a cheapo boost Guage and put it under the wiper or tape it to your windscreen or...... and find out.
If I had a loaner I'd send it. It

·
Registered
126 Posts
I’ve now decided to upgrade the brake rotors, pads, and SS lines, plus add a AEM combo boost/AFR gauge mounted in front of the shifter, stealth mode.

In the distant past I’ve done rotor/pad/brake line installs myself, in two other vehicles, and liked the results.

But I decided to have National Speed do it. They’ll use slotted Stop Tech rotors, pads, and stainless brake lines. Big calipers aren’t in the budget.

They expect to be able to do it sometime in the next 30 days. They seem to be pretty busy.

Although I could do this work myself, and would probably enjoy doing it, I don’t have the time. Between work and attending to those deferred maintenance projects around the farm, I’m fully booked. For the time it would take me, plus the hassle factor involved (like getting a bung installed on the exhaust), it’s worth it to me to pay them do it.

I expect they’ll do a fine job, and in one day.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
61 - 80 of 102 Posts