Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a 2006 5.7L Charger R/T, im looking to swap the intake manifold for a stock 6.4L. I've done some research already, but i'd like to get some some feedback on my specific situation.

I'm also planning to swap my 5.7 throttle body and CAI for 6.4 models. I have several questions so i'll make them brief;

1. First off, would installing a 6.4L intake on a 2006 5.7L work?? Is it just a bolt on or do I need additional parts? (like fuel rails, map sensor, etc.). Please be specific!

2. Would I be able to install a high performance (95mm - 103mm) throttle body to a stock 6.4 intake?

3. Since 6.4 chargers weren't around in 2006, would I be able to add a 6.4 CAI as well? Or would I need to settle for a 6.1 or even a 5.7?

4. Would I need to get it tuned afterward to drive properly? (not just to operate with the most performance)

Suggestions/links to parts would be highly appreciated!
Any tips on the coming swap would also be well received!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I don't think you can use the 6.4 manifold with non-eagle (2009 and up) heads.
Yes and no, end result basically is it probably wouldn't be worth the cost and effort.

Hello everyone!

I have a 2006 5.7L Charger R/T, im looking to swap the intake manifold for a stock 6.4L. I've done some research already, but i'd like to get some some feedback on my specific situation.

I'm also planning to swap my 5.7 throttle body and CAI for 6.4 models. I have several questions so i'll make them brief;

1. First off, would installing a 6.4L intake on a 2006 5.7L work?? Is it just a bolt on or do I need additional parts? (like fuel rails, map sensor, etc.). Please be specific!

2. Would I be able to install a high performance (95mm - 103mm) throttle body to a stock 6.4 intake?

3. Since 6.4 chargers weren't around in 2006, would I be able to add a 6.4 CAI as well? Or would I need to settle for a 6.1 or even a 5.7?

4. Would I need to get it tuned afterward to drive properly? (not just to operate with the most performance)

Suggestions/links to parts would be highly appreciated!
Any tips on the coming swap would also be well received!

Thanks!
1. Work as in worth it, or work as in function? You would still need to wire up an RPM switch to make the internal door function. This isn't plug and play. You'll need spacer adapters. 392 injectors will be way too big for your application (also requires correct connecting fuel line). Hell, 6.1/eagle 5.7 injectors will be more than you need unless you have a shitload of head work and a helluva cam that you haven't mentioned lol.
2. I don't believe "as is" that it can accept a TB that big. Considering you have a 5.7 with stock heads you DON'T NEED a TB that big.
3. No. 6.4 cars later on had electric steering so they don't have a PS pump over by the air intake. Won't fit unless you cut it up.
4. It would certainly help, but considering the port mismatch and adapters required, it's overkill on stock pre-eagle heads. To really take advantage of this you'd need 6.1 or eagle heads. Think about the heads that intake is designed to mate to; huge ports and valves. No, you cannot use apache heads on your 5.7.

·
Registered
89 Posts
have a buddy that did the swap ..... lost a lot of bottom end ....was flat as hell till about 2500-3000 .... not worth it without the heads. .... jmo

·
Registered
259 Posts
I did it on my 06 and yes it will work but the manifold needs to be modified to fit the early hemi blocks, you have to wire in a rpm switch to activate the runners, buy a new intake for a 6.4. So its a lot of money for a manifold swap for not much gains. Plus the ports on the heads will be misaligned. A better option would be to swap a 5.7 eagle manifold and if you have an older 5.7 pull the heads and have the seats replaced before they drop and have the ports opened up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts