Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile since I posted but the title says it all. I replaced my front rotors with news ones about two months ago and I was looking at replacing the rears but then I had an idea. Have any of you guys ever tried to replace the rear rotors with rotors the same size as the front? I believe the fronts are 15" and the rears are 13". When I just look at it I don't see anything that would prevent me from doing it but I wanted to ask before I attempted it.

Aqutis

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There is a reason they put smaller rotors on the rear. The front brakes are the primary ones. The rear brakes are just assisting. If the rear brakes grab a fraction more than the front brakes, the rear of the car will come around. I don’t know if the distribution of the fluid pressure to the rear brakes may be able to be adjusted but why try to engineer it? I don’t believe there is any advantage to larger rotors on the rear or we would already have them on our 200 mph, 4500 lb rocketships! You won’t find many cars that brake better than ours.
682BA292-E7CC-48E1-903C-34EE08C9FCE1.jpeg

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I believe the fronts are 15" and the rears are 13"
Factory brakes for 2012 R/T are ...
F: 13.6 x 1.1-in vented disc
R: 12.6 x 0.9-in vented disc

·
Registered
278 Posts
There is a reason they put smaller rotors on the rear. The front brakes are the primary ones. The rear brakes are just assisting. If the rear brakes grab a fraction more than the front brakes, the rear of the car will come around. I don’t know if the distribution of the fluid pressure to the rear brakes may be able to be adjusted but why try to engineer it? I don’t believe there is any advantage to larger rotors on the rear or we would already have them on our 200 mph, 4500 lb rocketships! You won’t find many cars that brake better than ours.
I believe the ABS function will prevent the tires from locking up and the rear from coming around. But you are correct in your other evaluations. Most after-market brake kits only include the front brake components because the rears are not as critical. If the OP wants to improve braking he should go with a front brake upgrade.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a reason they put smaller rotors on the rear. The front brakes are the primary ones. The rear brakes are just assisting. If the rear brakes grab a fraction more than the front brakes, the rear of the car will come around. I don’t know if the distribution of the fluid pressure to the rear brakes may be able to be adjusted but why try to engineer it? I don’t believe there is any advantage to larger rotors on the rear or we would already have them on our 200 mph, 4500 lb rocketships! You won’t find many cars that brake better than ours. View attachment 93988
This makes so much sense now that I think about it. Thank you for the knowledge drop!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the ABS function will prevent the tires from locking up and the rear from coming around. But you are correct in your other evaluations. Most after-market brake kits only include the front brake components because the rears are not as critical. If the OP wants to improve braking he should go with a front brake upgrade.
Actually it was just more of curiosity. I just changed the front rotors and had the thought of getting the factory ones turned and then replacing the rears with them when the time comes. Everything said in here tells me I need to stick with the factory size on the rear even if the 13's did fit the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts