Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Dodge Charger with a 5.7 Liter Hemi engine. I do not have the sports package nor the beefier suspension. I am having trouble with the sway bar bushings sliding out of their brackets and causing the sway bar to drop and bang around in the bracket space causing one heck of a noise. (I have the 27 mm sway bar.) It, at first, sounded like I was having a very serious strut problem like I had once before. What I have discovered is that when the steering wheel is turned to the right or left all the way, the upper link on either side of the sway bay hits the brake caliper. The contact has caused an indentation in both calipers (taking a turn right or left). When my wife turned the steering wheel all the way to one side (or the other) the "bolt" of the upper linkage would strike the caliper; and, after holding it in that position (as if it was in a turn on the road), pressure would be put on the sway bar causing the sway bar bushings to slightly be pushed out of their brackets and protrude to the outside of the sway bar. Once the car would go through a few up and down motions from dips in the road, the sway bar bushings would slide out the rest of the way.

I am thinking that something is over extending itself causing the striking problem. Is it possible that the rack and pinion may be at fault? I can move the disk brake/caliper assembly by hand, turning it left or right, without the tires on the front end and with the vehicle sitting on jack stands suspended in mid air (no pressure or contact of the front end to the ground). Is this normal or are the wheels suppose to be locked in a position when the car is not running and the ignition is not in ACC or On mode?

I have noticed over the past year or so that the steering was getting a little harder to turn, so this is where I am thinking that it might be in the rack and pinion going bad causing an over extension. A friend of mine who worked at an O'Reilly's Auto Parts Store had a similar issue with her 2012 Dodge Charger. She replaced everything on her front end, and the bushing kept coming out, however, she did not replace the rack and pinion, and I do not know if she ever checked to see if there was contact between the brake caliper and the upper bolt of the sway bar linkage. I have no way of contacting her as she has moved away, and she resolved her problem by trading her Charger in for a Jeep Wrangler. Like her, the first thing that I replaced were the sway bar bushings, thinking that was the problem; but they kept sliding out. Now, I see why they are sliding out (due to the contact of the upper linkage bolt on the sway bar and the brake caliper). I checked for play in the linkages and can't seem to find any; and that includes the tie rod ends.

Has anyone ever had this problem before, and can they please help?

big_bruno

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mercy, the bar has ring flanges located so they are on one side of each bushing. I have had a close look at this by replacing my own bushings in the past
For the life of me all I can fathom is the bar was not centered between the bushing clamps. Or they are very loose.
Maybe a long shot but perhaps greased inside and outside.
Or its your suspension moving towards the bar and not the bar moving.
I have seen bushings work out of clamps because they were not lubed and the bar friction twisting on them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts