Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im replacing the stock 18” wheels on my 2013 R/T with 20s that already have sensors and tires mounted on them. I read somewhere on here that the TPMS sensors will get read automatically, but if I’m changing wheel diameters that would need to be updated in the car’s computer. How do I do that or will I have to take it to a shop?

Also, if I store the old 18s with sensors in my garage and park nearby will it confuse the TPMS reads?

Anything else I need to think about before putting on the new wheels?
Thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I went from 19's to 20's on my R/T AWD....diameter/circumference was the same [29.1 inch diameter]... no problems...TPM linked up automatically...as far as storage...I think the TPM only reads when wheel is turning..not sure tho..

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You dont have to change anything unless the total diameter of the new wheels are different from the old.
I’m confused. According to https://www.wheel-size.com/
I currently have 7.5jx18 ET24 rims and am switching to 8jx20 ET24 rims. Aren’t these by definition larger in diameter?
BTW, I’m currently running the 235/55R18 tire (28.2” dia.) and am going to 245/45R20 (28.7” dia.).
The 20” wheels are OEM SRT wheels
Thanks all for the help!

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,564 Posts
I went from 215/65/17 to 245/60/18 with no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I’m confused. According to https://www.wheel-size.com/
I currently have 7.5jx18 ET24 rims and am switching to 8jx20 ET24 rims. Aren’t these by definition larger in diameter?
BTW, I’m currently running the 235/55R18 tire (28.2” dia.) and am going to 245/45R20 (28.7” dia.).
The 20” wheels are OEM SRT wheels
Thanks all for the help!

The wheels are bigger but the tire sidewalls are smaller. You can see it in your sizes. So the overall diameter of the tire and wheels together is the same.
The manufacturer does it that way so they can install different wheel and tire combos on the cars during assembly without having to have to adjust gearing and speedos.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Think of it as the tire/wheel combo (not just the wheels). As long as the height (bottom of tire to top of tire) is the same you're good.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I guess I’m being too literal. There is a 0.5” overall increase in diameter between them....just wanted to maker sure no computer updates were needed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No updates needed I went to stock OEM 20's from 18's and as long as you're within 5% of the overall diameter, you're all good. The Tazer can update for odd tire sizes if you decide to go crazy, though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
0.5 inch diameter difference should not be a problem....prolly almost that much change in a tire's height as it wears down..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts