Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my headlights wrapped with Luxe and the installer recommend swapping the stock halogen bulbs for cooler LEDs. Just wondering if there is a conversion kit or can I just straight swap bulbs?

·
Registered
932 Posts
You don't need a conversion kit for LED. You can swap in 9005-compatible LED bulbs.

I don't know if you'll be happy with the effective output and beam pattern, though. What you have is a reflector housing optimized for the stock 9005SL+ bulb.

OTOH, if you were concerned about that, you probably wouldn't have wrapped your headlights, so...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So another thing I'm coming across is do I go HID or LED?

Also I'm seeing I can increase the wattage to 50 or 55 to get more brightness.

Any other suggestions based on this?

·
Registered
932 Posts
So another thing I'm coming across is do I go HID or LED?

Also I'm seeing I can increase the wattage to 50 or 55 to get more brightness.

Any other suggestions based on this?
If this is about switching to a cooler bulb on the advice of your installer, you definitely aren't going to accomplish that by going to a higher-wattage bulb.

That said, your 9005SL+ bulb is already 65 watts. I'm not sure what 50 or 55 watt bulb you're considering.

If effective output and an optimized beam pattern are what you're after, the stock bulbs should perform pretty well (the SL stands for "Super Luminance"). But you can always step up a 9011 HIR-1 bulb. That'll give you about 2300 lumens as opposed to 1850 or so from the 9005. The 9011 is harder to find...don't expect to find them sitting on a shelf in Walmart...but not much more expensive if you shop around. They require some minor trimming of the tabs to fit in place of the 9005, but otherwise they're plug-and-play, with the same power draw.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If this is about switching to a cooler bulb on the advice of your installer, you definitely aren't going to accomplish that by going to a higher-wattage bulb.

That said, your 9005SL+ bulb is already 65 watts. I'm not sure what 50 or 55 watt bulb you're considering.

If effective output and an optimized beam pattern are what you're after, the stock bulbs should perform pretty well (the SL stands for "Super Luminance"). But you can always step up a 9011 HIR-1 bulb. That'll give you about 2300 lumens as opposed to 1850 or so from the 9005. The 9011 is harder to find...don't expect to find them sitting on a shelf in Walmart...but not much more expensive if you shop around. They require some minor trimming of the tabs to fit in place of the 9005, but otherwise they're plug-and-play, with the same power draw.

Just purchased xenon cosmos running at 30W with 3600 lumens. I think that should be plenty bright. When installing do I need the " warning canceller/capacitor"?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts