Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this seems totally ridiculous and stupid to me! I was just wondering why my local Dodge dealer is so ridiculous and pathetic? Or, do some of you have similar experiences?

So, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I stopped in my local Dodge dealer to look at a used '07 Charger SRT8 with 41k miles on it. After some general discussions, we walked out to the car. I just walked around it, then we walked back toward my car. They didn't bring it up, but I told them that I wasn't interested in a test drive today because I had to get going soon. Then, here is where my mind was boggled. The sales kid told me I wouldn't be able to take it for a test drive anyway, even if I wanted. He said that their management does not allow test drives in any of their Charger SRT's unless they are almost certain the person is willing to buy it now. He said anybody can drive any vehicle on the lot, just not the SRT's unless ready to buy. I told him I could walk in there with cash in hand and say I wanted to take it for a drive, then tell them I really had no interest in it. How do they know if I am serious about it or not. I wound up saying a lot more, but I won't ramble on about that. I said, how do I know if I'm even remotely interested in it if I can't drive it? I told them I could go to our local exotics dealer and test drive a Porsche or anything else.

Heck, I'm 41, have a great job, not crazy looking. I'm just dumbfounded. So, has anyone else had any kind of experience like that or been told that? Or, is my local dealership just completely off their rocker?

Thanks! :O

·
Registered
822 Posts
Some people are @ssholes and others are cool as hell. I worked at a Mitsubishi dealership for a month and they had two EVOs and no one was allowed to even sit in them. Here is their reasoning "The people who are serious about buying that car already know what it drives like." Complete 180 is the Chevy dealer across the street from me. They let me, my brother, and our friend each test out the new camero. This was one day after it came in and months before the release date. It was 6K over sticker if someone wanted it and we killed the tires but they didn't care. We told them weren't going to buy we just wanted to see it and by coincidence it was there.

Guess you have to be lucky or play the game like stated above.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yep, had the same thing happen to me about a month ago with a chally srt.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
no my dealer was the same way. even after i bought 2 used Dakota R/T's from them before i was 21 years old. they wouldn't let me test drive a used SRT when i was 24 years old in 2007.

Carmax shipped my car from another location and let me have it for 5 days before i had to decide if i wanted to keep it or not. to them it was just another inventory item even if the salesmen knew what kind of performance car it was.

i made sure i drove the SRT up to my dodge dealer to let my normal salesmen see that i had bought one somewhere else on my way to the parts counter. i told him maybe you should let people test drive em eh? lol.

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
I must be the odd man out, I test drove mine in 3/06 before i bought it, Of course I knew I was going to buy it, but they did not.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback so quickly gang! I guess it's not just my local dealer being obscenely ridiculous! I agree, if I was playing the game I may have been driving it. But, my point is, it's a car. How can I justify making such a large purchase without a test drive? Anyhow, I really like Jontoad's drive-by technique after the purchase elsewhere! LOL All I know, is that if when my current lease is coming to an end and I'm actually ready to wheel and deal, they better let me drive it or I will definitely walk. I can't handle the anxiety of dealing with dealerships. haha That's why I'm ready to stop leasing and just buy. Once I get my Charger, I hope to own 'er for a long, long time like I did with my '70 Chevelle SS before I passed it on to someone else to enjoy!

Thanks again!
the Z is the place to B for Q's & A's!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That sucks bro... Good luck on your next trip to the second closest dodge dealer.

When I went for my test drive, the sales guy had an interesting way to judge my interest before offering a test drive. He gave a bunch of slightly off info about it (like 400hp) and waited to see if I corrected him. Obviously, a more serious buyer has probably spent a lot of time researching the car.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I would not buy from anyone that did not work for my money.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you do get a SRT I would drive by your dealer and show them what a azzhat they were by not wanting to let people drive the SRT's on their lot. Kinda like my dealer, he had my 08 Super Bee (new) sitting on lot for 2 years before I purchased. He at one time was offered 3K over sticker and would not take it. I ended up with it at a little over 10K off sticker and retail for my trade as I had a offer from another dealer on another Super Bee that was located 180 miles from me. As I told him give me what I want or I will drive to the other dealer and even showed him their offer in writing. Needless to say he sold me the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, this seems totally ridiculous and stupid to me! I was just wondering why my local Dodge dealer is so ridiculous and pathetic? Or, do some of you have similar experiences?

He said anybody can drive any vehicle on the lot, just not the SRT's unless ready to buy. Heck, I'm 41, have a great job, not crazy looking. I'm just dumbfounded. So, has anyone else had any kind of experience like that or been told that? Or, is my local dealership just completely off their rocker?

Thanks! :O
I've seen similar on new SRT8's - a dealer didn't refuse me the drive but wanted me to give him some basic info (the beginnings of a credit report request?) before letting me take it out. When I expressed surprise, they said if they didn't do that they'd have "kids" burning rubber when they're really not going to buy - just an opportunity to drive a high performance car. I can kind of see the concern - but on the other hand, especially in these times - you need to do what you have to in order to sell a car. Besides, one reason for buying the car is the performance capability, and how can you see if that's to your liking unless you drive it...Now, would I want to buy a new SRT8 that someone I don't know has driven it real hard in it's first few miles, in a test drive? One reason I made sure mine didn't get much test driving - I think it had less than five miles on it...probably one drive.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
It was a bit different for me. When i go to the dealer to get service or for parts, i usually wander into the lot to check out the Chally's and srt chargers. It never fails that a salesman comes up to me and asks if im interested. I always reply " what would you give me for that(pointing to my car)" and they say, "we can check it out, would you like to take er out and get fully convinced?" I always say "nah i cant afford it anyway" and the conversation goes on for a bit longer. Maybe my dealership is desperate but ive been asked a few times! :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had the same problem with a dealership in Oklahoma City. I wanted to test drive an '07 Torred SRT8 they wouldnt let me so I went out and bought a brand new '09 Torred SRT8 for $3000 more than they were gonna sell me an '07. Then I took it up there and showed them what I had just bought then told the salesman to F-Off. :stupidpeople:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here in Vermont all the dealers think there cars are gold even used. I have had the worst issue with the ford dealer and test driving a Mustang. They are like we dont want to put miles on it.
The last time i went there i was looking at the new 5.0 and it was fresh of the truck and me and another guy where all over it and the sales kid came out and i asked to look in it and such and he had the balls to tell me that he wasnt going to waste his time and i couldnt afford it. The other guy and I was like :O:wow: WTF are you for real. Keep your Stang ill go across the street and get a Challenger, sorry guys dealer was out of R/T and SRT Chargers lol. I almost went in to complain but i didnt want to waste my time.

As for the Dodge Test Drive issue, at my dealer here they have no issue with it because you get to drive it 1 mile down the road and back. I got to drive an Neon SRT-4 and a Caliber SRT-4. I havent got to drive the Charger or Challenger because there are no used ones and the new are in the building.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here in Cleveland, TN and in Knoxville, you have to be 21 to even test drive any of the cars. And when you do test drive one the dealer rides with you. I remember when I was 16 they had an R/T on the lot and I was looking at it. The dealer came out and asked if I was interested and I said "Yea, hopefully this will be a graduation present" Well he went to get the keys and let me sit in it (and of course he turned the radio to rap music, yuck) and he was feeding me all of the info on the car. Then he asked my age. I said "Just turned 16" He looked at me, frowned, reached OVER ME, and turned the car off and pocketed the keys. Needless to say he didn't feel much like talking to me after that. He had no idea if my parents had sent me there to see if I actually wanted the car or not. I don't see why dealers are like that.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
I have heard of dealers pulling this kind of shit but its never happened to me before.. I drove an SRT8GC no problem my GTO and my Daytona never had any issues.. My philosophy is if I can't drive it **** off, I will buy it some where else..

·
Registered
557 Posts
happened to me once. about six months ago i was gonna trade my charger srt8 in and i was looking at a 2008 gt 500 supersnake. I was checking the car out pretty hard. I asked what the price was and if i could test drive it? He said let me check the price. He came back out and said and i qoute "they only want $45,000 for it". My ears and eyes got really big and I said what the hell. Whats wrong with it? He said nothing. He went and got the keys and a tag for me to test drive it. I asked again is it only $45,000? He said yes I checked it twice. As we began to pull out I saw i guy in a full sprint running across the car lot waiving his arms. He got the salesman out the car and was talking to him. He walked off and the salesman said, sir im sorry but i gave you the wrong price. The car is $75,000 and noone can test drive it. I was like how can i decide if i want it if i cant drive it? Needless to say after the price correction it was out of my price range. But still I wanted to drive the dam thing. They kept saying make an offer, but by that time i was no longer interested

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Guess I was one of the lucky ones. I was almost forced in the driver's seat for a test drive. Driving it sealed the deal for me. Dealerships need to realize that driving the car can change someone's mind on whether or not to purchase the vehicle. I was on the fence about buying mine because I already paid off my RT and wasn't looking to have monthly payments for a while. These cars can sell themselves if they let them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guess I was one of the lucky ones. I was almost forced in the driver's seat for a test drive. Driving it sealed the deal for me. Dealerships need to realize that driving the car can change someone's mind on whether or not to purchase the vehicle. I was on the fence about buying mine because I already paid off my RT and wasn't looking to have monthly payments for a while. These cars can sell themselves if they let them.
You got me thinking about an inverse parallel to many of our experiences - when I've gone to buy a new motorhome, they always insist I drive one - so much so one dealer was yelling at his salesman in front if us once for not insisting I drive the thing. And those things could cost ten times as much to repair should you happen to damage it during a test drive. So what's the fear with someone test driving the SRT8? FCrazy world!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I drove an 07 SRT and my 07 R/T the same day to see which one I wanted. And I drove the hell out of both of them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts