Dodge Charger Forum banner

the built in NO ESP mod …

Tags
esp
8K views 72 replies 28 participants last post by  JGodo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all …

the paragraphs below are cuts from posts in the thread about this “over there”. . .
my own comments at the end …

“[FONT=&quot]all I do is turn the key to the right as if I"m starting the car, but you have to do this when your in drive and moving.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Won't work if not moving, this will light up your esp/bas and little car (mr squiggles).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It’ll stay that way until you shut off the car, on my car anyways.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I just did it also, it works just like they said. I was in drive doing about 10 mph then I turned the key (which was in the ignition already) forward and in 2 to 3 seconds it chimed and esp, bas and mr. squiggles lit up.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then when I turned it off and restarted it things were back to normal. Then I did it again and it worked again then I shut if off for the night. I have an 07 Daytona.”[/FONT]

A technical explanation from another source …

[FONT=&quot]From what you guys have tried, here are my thoughts and observations.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It sounds like turning the key to START forces HAL to re-run the startup diagnostics. If you're moving fast enough, the BAS/ESP diagnostic fails and the BAS/ESP system gets disabled since it might not be working correctly. If you try this while at an idle, it sounds like the diagnostic passes and nothing gets disabled.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Regarding which cars it works on, I know there was a mid-year change in the 2006 model year (released in Aug/Sep 2005?) that changed the BAS/ESP system so that you can't do the fuse-pulling trick. Maybe really early builds with the old system don't get disabled the same way.[/FONT]

I’m not trying to steal anyone’s glory or thunder by plagiarizing their stuff, just passing the info on.

I personally tried this and it works.
The a$$ dyno said it made significant improvements …

Cheers,

Geoff

See less See more
#8 ·
According to the original post, both the ESP/BAS and Mr. Squiggles lights come on... to me that would indicate 100% off ?

I'll give it a shot later today, when I do the full ESP off by holding the button for 5 seconds, I actually get ESPOFF right where the odometer is... I'd be interested if I get the same response using this new method.

#13 ·
It Works!

I tried it a few minutes ago on the way to work. It seems to turn off everything. I bet you're right. It's an error that deactivates the Traction Control. Man is it a kick in the pants. I've really missed the feeling of breaking loose at low speed. To me that's the best part of having torque. I'll try and mess with it some tonight.

While moving turn the key to "start" for about 3 seconds. The lights and A/C and everything goes off while you're holding the key. Then let go. It didn't "Seem" to hurt anything. I"m keeping my fingers crossed just in case. YMMV. PAYOR (Proceed At Your Own Risk)

#14 ·
I tried it a few minutes ago on the way to work. It seems to turn off everything. I bet you're right. It's an error that deactivates the Traction Control. Man is it a kick in the pants. I've really missed the feeling of breaking loose at low speed. To me that's the best part of having torque. I'll try and mess with it some tonight.

While moving turn the key to "start" for about 3 seconds. The lights and A/C and everything goes off while you're holding the key. Then let go. It didn't "Seem" to hurt anything. I"m keeping my fingers crossed just in case. YMMV. PAYOR (Proceed At Your Own Risk)
I concur 100%. About 3 seconds is all it takes. NO the starter doesn't kick in LOL...

ESP/BAS & Mr.Squiggles comes on.
At the stoplight I rev'd up to 2500rpm, then floored it while releasing the brake... oh yeah... it worked just fine :D My, that was fun. Can't do that with it on ... :D

Being a police package, I have full ESP off anyways, but I have to be completely stopped to engage it... so this is kinda cool :cool:

Reset by turning the car off and on.

#15 ·
So basically when I turn the key to START once I'm moving for three seconds it will deactivate my ESP completely until I restart the car? Not always the best choice since you have to turn the car off to get it back to normal... But its definitely good to have. I'll wait to see if there are any ill effects of the in-car NO ESP "cheat".

Question: You say it turns off the lights and A/C too... Is that off until you start the car again as well? Or does it come back on?

G
#16 ·
Any option on Acc. will turn off with the key,Then come back afterwards just like normal
What your doing is turning off anythings that during crank,Im not sure I would do this if you have Piggyback for turbos or any other Ignition controller ....Not sure about that

RICK

#17 ·
I tried it four or five times and nothing every happened. I tired it at 40MPH I tried it at 20mph and nothing. No lights coming on nothing except the radio and AC stopping. As a matter of fact when I was going about 20 and turned the car to go around a little corner the Mr squiggles light came on and I felt the car correct it's self for some reason. Once again I get shut out of something cool. I would buy the NoEsp but that would void my warranty and since I got a 6 year 100,000 mile extended prefered warranty I hate to do that. LOL

#20 ·
It is pretty silly to have the switch... What it does is shuts off 50% of the ESP (or is it 30%?), which allows for a bit more "fun" drive, but nothing very potent. If you get too erratic (high speeds on winding roads) it will kick back in for safety reasons. The ESP, while very useful, also hinders performance a bit, which is why everyone wants the option to take it off sometimes. However, when you turn off the ESP completely with either of the two mods or if you have the SRT-8, you get even more out of the engine (you may even get a slightttt horsepower gain). This is why people are doing these mods.

#22 ·
Nanny Car. No Thanks

If I wanted my car to watch out for me I'd buy a Buick. Most of the time I don't touch the ESP Button. But, why have all the torque if you can't throw the tail out once in a while. Anybody see "CARS"? Didn't Doc Hudson say "Gotta turn right to go left"? Gotta love it.

Anybody know if defeating the computer records an error code in memory? It might prompt your dealer to want to "FIX" your car and you next service.

#26 ·
I thought the same thing texasrt. Apparently, it only gets us around 50% of free tire spin. The computer is still there bcuz it knows how stupid the drivers can get and won’t give us true “No ESP”. Kinda shi##y if you ask me. That explains the countless "No ESP" mods i see on peoples threads and signatures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.