Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was wondering about this when I saw Australia was losing the Holden/GM production. They don't even seem to be marketing the SS very hard, so it does make you wonder if it is going to be a short lived model.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Australia is a small market which has defied the odds and sustained an auto manufacturing base on government subsidies.

Holdens annual production of 80,000 units / 9% market share cannot make money.

That said, are we ever going to figure out that building everything in China is not a good thing?

As we shake our heads over the Aussie plight now, how much longer will it be that all NA production is shipped from China / Korea / Thailand...

·
Registered
35 Posts
That SS is a competitor to the Charger in some categories but falls way short in others. I saw the car and even got to sit in one at a event over the summer and for many of us it is just going to be way too small. The charger is a full size comfortable car with lots of leg, hip, head, and rear seat room. That is what we expect in these vehicles and this one is so much smaller. I am about 6'0" and 225 pounds and it even felt small to me especially in hip and rear seat room. I would not be surprised if many Charger/300 owners felt the same way when they saw one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That car really was built to fail. Putting aside the bland styling, there was only one trim, which was comparable to the SRT both in performance and price. Let me say this: I love the SRT. It's a great muscular sports sedan with a lot to offer its market. However, its market is incredibly small. There might be 1 in 1,000 consumers interested in a domestic sports sedan with a price point over $40k. If the Charger was only available in the SRT trim, it would bomb too. It was silly of Chevy to offer this car up at all. If they wanted to do this, they should have made the Impala RWD and offered an SS trim.

Bottom line is you need those SE and SXT Chargers to carry the brunt of sales. Without entry level trims available, this car was never going to get off the ground.

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
GM brand management at its finest killing nameplates worldwide! Bob Lutz made vast improvements in clearing out the GM bureaucracy but it looks like they reverting back to their true form.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good lord this is flat out dumb... as I've mentioned in a previous post, I used to be a strong chevy guy. Then everything was being made on a fwd platform (monte carlo ss with v8 as a fwd???) And now that the ss came out, I thought for a brief moment I would look at it on the website. 1 trim, like 2 options and 40k+ for something that just doesnt look like a performance sedan. Holden was one of the reasons I had hope for gm with their performance sedans, modern day el caminos basically, among other things. So much for that pipe dream...

and p.s. after the like 5 minute eyeballing of the ss, the verdict is unanimous on keeping the charger for a LOT longer lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
Good lord this is flat out dumb... as I've mentioned in a previous post, I used to be a strong chevy guy. Then everything was being made on a fwd platform (monte carlo ss with v8 as a fwd???) And now that the ss came out, I thought for a brief moment I would look at it on the website. 1 trim, like 2 options and 40k+ for something that just doesnt look like a performance sedan. Holden was one of the reasons I had hope for gm with their performance sedans, modern day el caminos basically, among other things. So much for that pipe dream...

and p.s. after the like 5 minute eyeballing of the ss, the verdict is unanimous on keeping the charger for a LOT longer lol
Same here. The bad boy caddy is nice, the camaro is nice, but otherwise GM pretty much has nothing to offer anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts