Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got out 07 AWD Charger RT a few weeks ago. The front end was extremly road blasted, and we couldn't stand the stock chrome front grill. Took the fascia off the front, removed the headlights, fogs, and side markers, and gave them all a good wet sand and buffing (HUGE difference). We also decided to tint the side markers darker to hide the orange inner lens a little more.

We pulled the chrome grill out and removed the inner black plastic part. Cut some metal pieces to go inside the openings and then fiberglassed over them before cutting the crosshair out of the grill. Thats where we are now. Going shopping for some nice mesh to behind it tomorrow at the Metal Supermarket, and we'll start the bodywork on the grill this week. Should have it wrapped up by next weekend.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Good DIY work! Make sure to post some pics when it is done!

REPs to you!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm curious to know the process, products and tools you used to polish the lights. Looks great! And I can't wait to see the grill!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I make lenses for a living,.. so just using a little of that knowlege (klearz.com) . Remove your headlights to make it easier. Depending on just HOW pitted they are,.. will determine where you start. Mine were really bad,.. so I started with 120 grit on a DA. Sand until all pits and imperfections are gone. Then do 400 with a rubber block and wet sanding. Sand until all your 120 grit marks are gone.. continue up through with 600,.. 800,.. 1000,.. 1500,.. and finish with 2000. Then I use a rotary buffer with Meguiars number 4,.. followed by another buffing pad I use for Meguiars number 2. Finish it off with a good hand wax job,.. and you're done.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I make lenses for a living,.. so just using a little of that knowlege (klearz.com) . Remove your headlights to make it easier. Depending on just HOW pitted they are,.. will determine where you start. Mine were really bad,.. so I started with 120 grit on a DA. Sand until all pits and imperfections are gone. Then do 400 with a rubber block and wet sanding. Sand until all your 120 grit marks are gone.. continue up through with 600,.. 800,.. 1000,.. 1500,.. and finish with 2000. Then I use a rotary buffer with Meguiars number 4,.. followed by another buffing pad I use for Meguiars number 2. Finish it off with a good hand wax job,.. and you're done.
Thank you! My head lamps aren't too bad, driving lamps need some TLC though. Now I know what to do. Rep points for that.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'd like to see how this comes out... Keep us posted. You may have created a new DIY mod for those that cannot afford the Danko grill.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Looks good, i look forward to seeing the finished result..:TU:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the filler work is done on the grill surround and primed. it has to dry over night before sanding and then paint will be today. we thought about putting pics of it primed form last night, but it was late and didnt feel like it!

we had a hard time finding some mesh but we found something that will look pretty good. its perforated steel, so a sheet of metal with pencil size holes punched in it. i dont think many ppl are using that type of mesh so it will be unique. most ppl seem to use criss-cross mesh or honeycomb perforated metal.

pics to come tonight if all goes well!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
look forward to seeing it all finish

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Is there a finished pict yet? Can't wait

·
Registered
822 Posts
X2.............this is driving me crazy. We need something even if you F'd up I wanna see it!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got it all put back together. I got so wrapped up in it, that I forgot to take any more real in progress photos. It was pretty basic from the last update on though. If anyone decides to try it, and has any questions, just yell at me. All in all, pretty happy with how it came out. Ended up going with a perforated metal mesh grille. I scuffed it up, laid down epoxy primer, followed by a bright silver base coat I had laying around. Then tinted my clear coat a bit, and laid a few coats of that on it to give it sort of a dark silver look.

Took some time, but saved some serious dollars and have something unique in the end. Mesh for the grill was $21, fiberglass, bondo, paint, clearcoat, etc.. I all had laying around from other projects.. but if you had to buy what I used,.. I'd say maybe $30 at the most.

I like how the tinted turn signals turned out too. its suttle but adds to the overall look

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
That looks hot. Now its time to get lowered!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Very very nice work. Another mod has just been added to my list. What do you do with the vertical crossbar on the facia that sits behind the stock grill? Just cut it out?

My wife thanks you... LOL

1 - 20 of 53 Posts