1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching for sticker pricing I came up with this gem of info from allpar
"
2010 6.4 liter production V8: 392 Hemi engines

The 6.4 Hemi (392 Hemi) is to be in the 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 and other SRT V8 models. The engine is very different from the one in the Challenger Drag Pack (the Mopar crate engine), not just because it has multiple displacement (four cylinders automatically shut off when not needed to dramatically increase gas mileage). The engines have a different bore, stroke, cam, heads, compression, and intake.

oh2o told Allpar readers about the engine in 2005, with horsepower estimated between 450 and 500; in 2008 we firmed our estimate at 480, and in 2010 it was launched with 475 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque. To limit emissions, both spark plugs were used at top dead center and one was used before top dead center to burn off the hydrocarbons, allowing the use of less restrictive catalytic converters. The engine reportedly (“carcharger”) cannot pass durability testing at 525 Horsepower, due to piston skirt issues when tested near overheat conditions. (Durability testing reportedly requires 200,000 miles MTBF and extensive testing under extreme conditions.)
The 392 Hemi (6.4 liter) will not have MDS (four cylinder mode) when paired with a manual transmission.
A new, expensive but sturdy eight-speed automatic transmission will eventually go along with the 6.4 Hemi, as well as trucks with Cummins turbodiesels.

·
9,646 Posts
the durability thing concerns me. So if you mod this engine will you have piston skirt problems like they experienced? How extreme is that test would you ever have an engine pushed to that point.

·
9,646 Posts
but to bump from 475 to 525 wouldn't need heavy modding. A cam, exhaust and tune probably would put you past that. maybe not 200K. They never said when the failure was seen, may have been well before that.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I agree 100% I think lack of funds from their current finical state is the reason for the lower HP numbers. They need to put an engine out in the market in that 525HP range just to get the heavy LX platform to perform with the other cars coming out in the market

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Well, keep in Mind, the 426 Stroker based 6.1s will only see about 70,000 miles before the motor needs to be redone, do to side load.....

Of course, this varies depending on how you drive.......

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Well, keep in Mind, the 426 Stroker based 6.1s will only see about 70,000 miles before the motor needs to be redone, do to side load.....

Of course, this varies depending on how you drive.......
So you'd have to bore it to 440 after it "wears out"? I'd guess you would get less then 70k at that point. Then what? Buy an all new crate motor?

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
So you'd have to bore it to 440 after it "wears out"? I'd guess you would get less then 70k at that point. Then what? Buy an all new crate motor?

Well, a few options.....

Bore the block out to a 440 or somewhere inbetween......

Or I could just send in the block as a core and get another 426......

I have all the other parts for any other stroker or replacement motor I put in. Maybe an aluminum 468:D

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I soooo want an aluminum 440. I'm gonna have to save my pennies, I guess. I heard you can't do core swaps for the aluminum blocks, though. Guess I'll have to sell it privately.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
I soooo want an aluminum 440. I'm gonna have to save my pennies, I guess. I heard you can't do core swaps for the aluminum blocks, though. Guess I'll have to sell it privately.

yup, no cores..... and they are expensive...

when you do the math its about $10K just for the shortblock.... double the price

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I agree 100% I think lack of funds from their current finical state is the reason for the lower HP numbers. They need to put an engine out in the market in that 525HP range just to get the heavy LX platform to perform with the other cars coming out in the market
Yup, and I see eerily similar with what Dodge is doing now, and what Ford did with regards to their 4.6L/5.4L modular V8's for Ford. Those engines had to an endure a half-decade as a laughing stock compare to the Hemi and LS engines.

At least they had low weight in the Stangs, and a nasty aftermarket to fix things. We have a good aftermarket now, but if we start with "durability issues" that's not a good sign.

Oh well, I give Dodge props for the 8-spd transmission and electric p-steering, but the 6.4L is disappointing... wake me in a few years when they have the funds to push it more. (or an aluminum block)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
but to bump from 475 to 525 wouldn't need heavy modding. A cam, exhaust and tune probably would put you past that. maybe not 200K. They never said when the failure was seen, may have been well before that.

You know? To run MDS you need a rather mild cam... I know both Inertia and PWR were saying cam plus tune = 40+ rwhp with no problem on the 5.7's, so I'd expect the 6.4's to have no problem with 50+ rwhp from the same.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Well, a few options.....

Bore the block out to a 440 or somewhere inbetween......

Or I could just send in the block as a core and get another 426......

I have all the other parts for any other stroker or replacement motor I put in. Maybe an aluminum 468:D
i thought all 426's get sleeved blocks? can't you just re-sleeve it again?

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Well that sucks!!!!

If we stoke our motors and need a new one after a few miles, that is going to really suck for the regular guy that can't afford to replace there motor that often. I guess were pretty much stuck. Maybe I'll have to go back to Chevy's if dodge can't get this issue with durability fixed. Or just not ever stroke out my motor. Kinda depressing to think that those UGLY mustangs are already sooo far ahead of our Hemi's.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
This is some good info. A stroker is in my future grasp. Question though???? What will it take to convert to one of those 8 speed transmissions?

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Well that sucks!!!!

If we stoke our motors and need a new one after a few miles, that is going to really suck for the regular guy that can't afford to replace there motor that often. I guess were pretty much stuck. Maybe I'll have to go back to Chevy's if dodge can't get this issue with durability fixed. Or just not ever stroke out my motor. Kinda depressing to think that those UGLY mustangs are already sooo far ahead of our Hemi's.
You could always do the aluminum block...thicker walls, but a thicker price, too.

This is some good info. A stroker is in my future grasp. Question though???? What will it take to convert to one of those 8 speed transmissions?

Assuming it bolts up, probably a new computer, I'd guess.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sadly I think this is the last upgrade we will seein these cars and frankly really suprised they were able to go with it. This green tech crap is starting to spread like mold, in an era where MPG dominates cubes or HP.
Cubes are gonna start to go down and mileage requirements up.
The V6 got the best end of the deal IMO as far as upgrades.
The SRT8 guys will find out just how annoying the MDS system is.
I am sure Diablo will have tunes for it in a couple of weeks after release though-for the trinity and predator.

I hope I am wrong though..but as everyone knows these motors have so much room for improvement in performance add on's.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts