Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm wanting to change the 200degree thermostat in my Daytona 392 to the 180. Will this void my warranty? What's the reason dodge went with such a high degree thermostat?

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,570 Posts
So I'm wanting to change the 200degree thermostat in my Daytona 392 to the 180. Will this void my warranty? What's the reason dodge went with such a high degree thermostat?
It will void any warranty claim that could be related to the thermostat change. The reason for the higher temp is for emissions.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not for anything, but unless you're going to a 180º for a specific reason, that's a big drop. 180s have been known to throw codes.

Maybe consider splitting the difference with a 190º. I use the Stant 48799 (190º) in my 5.7s. No issues, no codes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
OE is 203 degrees for a reason.. efficiency ..If you just can’t help not changing it out try a 192 instead of the 180. if you live in a climate that gets cold the 180 could set a CEL for not warming up fast enough. unless you change the fan temp settings thru the tune the lower temp thermostat won’t help you much anyway.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OE is 203 degrees for a reason.. efficiency ..If you just can’t help not changing it out try a 192 instead of the 180. if you live in a climate that gets cold the 180 could set a CEL for not warming up fast enough. unless you change the fan temp settings thru the tune the lower temp thermostat won’t help you much anyway.
What is the fan temp setting about?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If you do change to a lower temp t-stat you need to change the settings for the cooling fan(s) as well or they will run too long and too often.
Its usually done for tuning reasons, both of my FI vehicles have 180 t-stats at the requirements of the tuners.

Here is a shot of my fan settings showing highlighted in green the amounts the settings were dropped.

Reactions: RustyColt

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yes, leave it as is. Back in the day.......the lower thermo would lower engine tempos, hence more power. With computers though, I will NOT second guess them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts