TIMING CHAIN RECALL- how was your experience at dealership?

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger General Discussion' started by Charge this, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Charge this

Charge this New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2010
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Ran my VIN#, and found out about timing chain campaign/recall and of course airbags, both of these have not been done by previous owner.

Can anyone provide feedback? (did dealer cooperate fully, try to upsell you anything, do anything shady?, etc)

I have a 2010 Charger 5.7 RT with R&T PKG, 33k miles, I am the 2nd owner. Am I correct in assuming I am covered as 2nd owner?

Should I have dealer replace the serpentine belt at my 33k mileage while its sitting at the dealer anyway? (timing chain HAS NOT broken yet, so plan on using in auto-stick mode only, as I read that timing chain problems are related to the MDS switching on and off, autostick mode disables MDS)

ALL REPLIES GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks!

2. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    As the 2nd owner you're covered by all the recalls that have not yet been completed on your car. The serpentine belt should still be good. Inspection schedule for the serpentine belt and tensioner is every 54K miles. My experience with the recalls was good. Dealership did not try to upsell anything. They did perform their usual multi-point inspection and gave me a copy for my records. Report included the cost for them to perform any of the maintenance items. At 33K miles they will probably mention "replace spark plugs" as a scheduled maintenance item that is due. Maintenance schedule for 5.7L Hemi spark plugs (2010 with copper plugs) is every 30K miles.

3. Charge this

Charge this New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2010
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Appreciate the reply, thanks! Now I just need to make the appointment and drop it off for I hear is a 4 hour job, wondering how much spark plugs will be installed by dealer....my mechanical abilities are pretty low, and my hands are to big to work in tight spaces.

How come my 2000 Jeep Cherokee had no plugs? Thought spark plugs were a thing of the past lol.

4. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    If it had the 4.0L inline-6 engine ... it had spark plugs. You may not have changed them but they were there.

Estimated cost of spark plugs installed by dealer ...
    The Hemi 5.7L engine has 16 spark plugs (2 per cylinder). I'm not sure of the flat-rate for the spark plugs - probably 2.5 hrs. Hourly shop rate of $120.00 x 2.5 = $300.00 Plus the cost of the plugs ($100.00) = $400.00

Spark plugs are NGK LZFR5C-11 (Mopar SPLZFR5C11). The dealer price will be higher than you purchasing them from eBay, Amazon or auto parts supplier. Dealer price is probably $6.25 per plug. I bought mine online for $56.80 ($3.55 per plug).

5. Charge this

Charge this New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2010
    Trim?:
    R/T
    You're right, I only had the Jeep inline 6 for a spare "dirty work/Home Depot" vehicle, never did much to it.

Is changing the plugs going to help performance much? Plus wondering if previous owner already did them, car was immaculate when I bought it used, previous owner had it garaged i Florida and only put 32k miles on it, I now use only on weekends, and work from home - so have put a whopping 1500 miles on it in 15 months.

Other than dealer service records, any way to tell if plugs are already changed out? Car runs great and idles perfect.

If they are accessible, I will be definitely doing it myself, not paying dealer $400 bucks for a couple hour job.

6. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    It's possible the previous owner had the plugs changed. If you have a contact to the previous owner you can always ask them. Changing the plugs yourself is not difficult. They are COP (coil over plug). They are located over the valve covers and accessible. It's good to have an assortment of socket extensions and u-joints (wobble extensions) for the odd angles ... but you don't have to remove anything to access the ignition coils and plugs.

Here's a YouTube clips to give an idea of what's involved. The video is labeled 2011-2104 Dodge Charger but the 2010 is the same.
    Personal observation: the guy puts way too much anti-seize grease on the spark plug threads.

7. Charge this

Charge this New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2010
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Depends on the price from dealer to do it, I am 6ft 8 tall so working underhood is tough - if its $100 labor then I'm in, if not my local mechanic can do it for me.

Thank you for the replies, appreciated!

Assuming that this timing chain repair is going to get some fluids changed and hopefully they tighten up any loose plastic parts in my grille, etc, if all that has to come off - so that's a bonus:)

8. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
  9. Charge this

Charge this New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2010
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Update - all went well at the dealer, changed out timing chain, fresh oil change, and from looking at it, pretty sure they put in a new serpentine belt(maybe mechanic broke the old one while doing the work?), all for $0 out of pocket.

Spark plugs look easy enough for me to do, so that's next. Went for a nice slow Sunday drive to let it all settle in , runs like new, gotta start driving this car more often....too much fun!!!

10. junkman

junkman New Member

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2009
    Trim?:
    R/T
    I am scheduled to take my 09 Charger in next week for the timing chain and airbag recalls, it has 88,000 miles on it so it's definitely a 'your mileage may vary' type of issue.

Dealer gave me no hassles, the recalls were listed on the carfax report and he looked up the VIN and saw that they were incomplete.

Planning to drive to New Orleans after the holidays, so I want it in top shape.

11. Charge this

Charge this New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2010
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Watch out for any upsells, if you need spark plugs, 16 of them, don't pay the $400 bucks to do it, checkout the youtube video above, they are all easily accessible. Glad to hear you found out about the timing chain recall before it grenaded your motor:), thats why this site is so great to have around, special thanks to member djalbin,he's always got great info!

12. Skidz

Skidz New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    I had no problem with my timing chain recall. Everything went smooth. I put cardboard on my garage floor immediately after and kept an eye out for possible oil leaks, but there were none.

Still waiting on my alternator.

13. junkman

junkman New Member

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2009
    Trim?:
    R/T
    I'm not overly concerned about it, this dealer has been around for over 60 years. I have bought several cars from them in the past and only once had an issue with their service department. I was 18, had just bought my first new car, and they were trying to tell me that the fog lights I added were the reason all the acid was gone from my battery. No, I think the cracked seam is the culprit, thank you very much.

Had the oil changed there right after I bought it, I don't trust oil life indicators on used cars, too easy to reset them to make you think an oil change was done. No upsell then.

14. gapi

gapi Member

Vehicle:
    2013 R/T
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Rockauto for the plugs, here arte the tools I use to change plugs, the plug socket is not in the pic.

They looked great at the 30k but why wait for failure.

30k_change.jpg

15. junkman

junkman New Member

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2009
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Pretty sure I can handle the tune-up, ever do one on a Pontiac Aztek? Now THERE is a challenge...

:eek:

16. junkman

junkman New Member

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2009
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Got my Charger back today, dealer did the timing chain and BOTH airbags.... To be fair, they had over a weeks notice since I made the appointment before I had to go to Mexico.

No upsells, had a new V6 Charger for a loaner, and they did the full inspection as well. My local dealer is Mike Rhiel's in Roseville MI, been in business almost as long as Chrysler.

We also had about a 6" snowfall here, the city does not plow our streets. Had no isssues driving through the rutted snow, not even when I had to turn around in a driveway because a tow truck had the street blocked. The traction control works rather well, although at some points you do end up sitting still idling with the gas pedal mashed to the floor, LOL.