Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the 96 posts on this subject here on the forum, but cannot seem to find an answer to my issue.

I put 2015 Charger Scat Pack wheels on my 2014 Charger RT. The TPMS system appears to recognize the sensors as I could see that all pressures were low. I inflated all the tires and could see the new readings on the sensors. I have driven the car for a couple of hundred miles and the warning light is illuminated and there is a message in the display to service tire pressure system.

Any ideas? I read one of the posts to disconnect the battery which I am about to try.

Otherwise is it a trip to the dealership?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dont worry just drive it for a few days it will be bck to normal. Same happened when i swapped to my summer set, just drove a few miles and no more warnings.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The TPM module automatically learns and stores the sensor IDs while driving “within 20 minutes continuously above 15 mph (24 km/h)” after a sensor has been replaced.
The receiver circuit for the TPM system is mounted in the right rear wheel well. The TPM module is fixed to a metal bracket mounted to the inner wheel well located behind the splash shield.
A quick check to determine if the problem is low pressure or a system fault ...
From the OFF position, turn the key to ON and check the TPM indicator lamp on the instrument panel to observe one of the following:

• If after 10 seconds the indicator lamp is illuminating continuously (not flashing), it's a low pressure indicator.
  • If after 10 seconds the indicator lamp flashes on/off for 75 seconds, then remains on solid, there is a system fault detected.
You can also plug a OBD2/CAN scanner in the car OBD2 port to see if any active/pending DTCs have been logged.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Does the spare have a sensor? Some vehicles they do

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It should have sensed it within the first few miles. On my '13 when I swap my summer wheels to winter wheels and vice versa, I don't even have to drive it past my driveway and it senses them. Are the sensors different for the 2015 models than the 2014 and older?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know i'm piggy backing on this post but u mentioned the receiver is in the rear of the car??? i was also wondering if there was a spare sensor in the spare that would mess stuff up....my issue is similar except my system only reads 1 TIRE...no matter which of the 4 wheels i move around it only reads the front left tire, i figured the receiver was in the front

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the spare does have a sensor because I have had it on before and the warning light never illuminated.

According to the post from djalbin, the warning light is due to low pressure as it is constantly illuminated. I am running 35 psi according to my manual gauge and the TPMS readings in the display. I will put a few more pounds in it and see what happens.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I believe the spare does have a sensor because I have had it on before and the warning light never illuminated.

According to the post from djalbin, the warning light is due to low pressure as it is constantly illuminated. I am running 35 psi according to my manual gauge and the TPMS readings in the display. I will put a few more pounds in it and see what happens.
You said you swapped tires right? Whats the difference in psi? And did you do them yourself or a shop. Only asking cause your car doesnt know what tires you have unless programmed right? On my 2015 i can see on my dash the psi on every tire, usually around 36. If i slap on a diff set that lets say takes 40 psi, how would my car know? Curious myself.

But try the spare, father in laws wife has camry and he had a time trying to figure out why the light kept on. Found out the spare had sensor, and never had to use it so i guess it lost pressure over the years. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My light flashed for about a minute then went off. Check all 4 tires and they were all fine. I didn't check the spare yet though. Maybe that set it off.

·
Registered
335 Posts
TIf after 10 seconds the indicator lamp flashes on/off for 75 seconds, then remains on solid, there is a system fault detected.

Mine did this but the light went off after the 75 seconds of flashing. I checked all tires and they were fine. I checked the Diagnostics in my DiabloSport Trinity but it said no trouble codes found. Strange!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The TPM system operates on a 433 MHz radio frequency. So you want to ensure any new or replaced tire pressure sensor valve stem is for 433 MHz and not 315 MHz. If new sensors are introduced to the vehicle, the data stored for the sensor being replaced will be deleted once the new sensor id has been learned.
There are two tire pressure monitoring systems available, a base system and a premium system. The base system does not specify how many tires are low or where they are located. The premium system does.
Each sensor has an internal battery that lasts up to 10 years. The battery is not serviceable. At the time of battery failure, the sensor must be replaced.
Tire service shops use a TPM-RKE Analyzer to change the sensor mode (transmit/receive), change a sensor ID, check the battery (signal strength) and diagnose a faulty TPM sensor.

The low tire pressure signal comes "ON" when the pressure drops below a certain PSI after system initialization. The low tire pressure signal turns "OFF" when the pressure returns to an acceptable pressure. There is a table that reflects the Low "ON" and Low "OFF" based on the pressure of the tires at start-up/initialization. Here's some excerpts from the table:

Cold Tire PSI = 28, Low ON = 22. Low OFF = 26
(-6 PSI for Low ON and -2 PSI for Low OFF applies for Cold Tire PSI range from 28 to 31 PSI).

Cold Tire PSI = 32, Low ON = 25. Low OFF = 29
(-7 PSI for Low ON and -3 PSI for Low OFF applies for Cold Tire PSI range from 32 to 36 PSI).

Cold Tire PSI = 37, Low ON = 29. Low OFF = 34
(-8 PSI for Low ON and -3 PSI for Low OFF applies for Cold Tire PSI range from 37 to 44 PSI).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, I had a similar issue which was driving me up the wall. I feel your pain but it can all go away by disconnecting the battery. Once I did this, no more warning light.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Plug a scanner into the car's OBD2 port and see if any codes are logged. Use a scanner that can read all codes (not just Pxxxx powertrain codes). The codes logged by the TPM (tire pressure monitor) system are Bxxxx body codes, Cxxxx chassis codes and Uxxxx communication codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Plug a scanner into the car's OBD2 port and see if any codes are logged. Use a scanner that can read all codes (not just Pxxxx powertrain codes). The codes logged by the TPM (tire pressure monitor) system are Bxxxx body codes, Cxxxx chassis codes and Uxxxx communication codes.
Alright...I will give that a try. Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts