Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I know this has probably been tossed around before, but I want to put some wider tires on the rear of my Charger. I have a 2014 Dodge Charger R/T, Plum Crazy with 20" wheels. I believe the rims are 8" wide, but don't know for sure. My question is, how much wider can I go on the rims I have? The tire size on it now is 245/45R20.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Western NY. Doing a Google search, I found that maximum recommended tire width for an 8" rim width is 245. However, if you want to "push" it, you can go as high as 255 or 265 if you really want to push it. However, it's possible that there may be some handling consequences if you do exceed 245. Also, this pertains to the same aspect ratio as the current tire (45). If you go with a lower aspect ratio, you would have to reduce the tire width.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
4,389 Posts
Welcome to the Z from Atlanta!!!

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,563 Posts
Welcome from AZ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You probably already took care of this but I just wanted to say that due to the configuration of the car, running the same size all the way around is best. If you have a coupe or similar vehicle, staggered is cool. On my Infiniti coupe with 8" in front and 9" rear wheels I have pulled off 255/35/20 up front and 285/30/20 on the rear. With my Charger, I upgraded to the SRT wheels which are 9.5" and I am running the Perrelli P-Zeros all the way around standard 275/40/20, which plenty for our cars. My G meter has shown that I have pulled just over a G on a right handed turn and slightly less on a left. Like I said, you probably already addressed this but thought I would throw it out there.

Later,

Racer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OKAY GUYS!! It's been a while, but, I found a place where I live that entered my car information and tire size in a computer. It came up with a tire size that would be good on my 2014 Charger. I put Firestone Indy 500 Firehawks on the rear of the car. The size is 275/40R20. They look great, and have had several compliments on them. I will post a photo ASAP. Thanks for all your help. We are going to try them on the front to see if the turning radius is affected. They are also the same diameter as the originals, so speedometer isn't affected either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts