Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this subject is just about beaten to death and I apologize up front but I've narrrowed my search for 275/45R20's down to Continental Extremecontact DWS06 275/45ZR20(set oif 4 about $1k) and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Interestingly enough I did a search for Michelin dealers and they're sold at local Ford dealer and at my mechanic. I'll have to call and see if my mechanic wants to be nice to me seeing how much I've spent there with my other cars getting repaired for years.

Car will be mostly daily driver but have open highway on that daily drive. Also have a radar/laser detector for the state troopers on that highway. lol
'I'm leaning towards the Pilot's unless anyone has a great point to make for another tire that would be better for my use.
Checked the Pilot's and they don't come in 275/45, so 275/40 would be the selection there.

I'm asking as when I negotiate I want to have the answers before they try to bluff me on something else.

Thanks once again, guys!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had Continental Extreme DWS06 on my 2013 Daytona and was unhappy with them. Had to have 2 of them replaced because they were out of round and would not balance. Still had vibrations but lived with it. I put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ on my car for a Winter tires and they are the best tires I ever had on that car. My Dodge dealer did give me a deal of Buy 3 get 1 free. The Continental DWS06 have very smooth treads and even if they say they are good in the rain, I had my doubts. Just get the car already!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had Continental Extreme DWS06 on my 2013 Daytona and was unhappy with them. Had to have 2 of them replaced because they were out of round and would not balance. Still had vibrations but lived with it. I put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ on my car for a Winter tires and they are the best tires I ever had on that car. My Dodge dealer did give me a deal of Buy 3 get 1 free. The Continental DWS06 have very smooth treads and even if they say they are good in the rain, I had my doubts. Just get the car already!
I know, I know! lol I'm getting all my info ready so when I order I can collect what I want before the car is delivered. This information is invaluable to me because someone else said to go with the Continentals. I happen to like Cooper and Michelin. The only issues I ever had with my Coopers was when the car itself had issues like bad alignments and wheel balancing screw-ups.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Are you sure you have the 275/45? The normal is 275/40, or 245/45. What comes on it? Check Tire Rack for price, and make the dealer match it since they usually will.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, I just never saw a 275/45 series tire mentioned on these boards as a standard size.
The test car had 245/45R20's and I'm looking to get, since I can't get 45, 275/40R20's. One online place gave me a price, for just the tires, at about $1,028 for 4 or $264 each(wow, save $8.). Still waiting for my local tire guy to get back to me on the Pilots.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So just to be clear you are getting new wheels for the 275’s to run on your 5.7 Charger? 275’s will not fit your stock wheels and will not clear your front suspension.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So just to be clear you are getting new wheels for the 275’s to run on your 5.7 Charger? 275’s will not fit your stock wheels and will not clear your front suspension.
The wheels on the 5.7 Daytona are 20x9's ( I believe the R/T is 20x8) and will support 275's, just! How much front suspension difference is there with the 6.4 Daytona when it comes with 275's all around? The dealer said he's done it before so long as the wheels were at least a 9" width.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The wheels on the 5.7 Daytona are 20x9's ( I believe the R/T is 20x8) and will support 275's, just! How much front suspension difference is there with the 6.4 Daytona when it comes with 275's all around? The dealer said he's done it before so long as the wheels were at least a 9" width.
If you have 20X9’s you should be good to go (I think)....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now the brand and type. The Michelins and Continentals are great tires with a big price. I need to find the mix of price, comfort, and traction. 45's would probably give a little more comfort but are hard to find in a 275/45R20. Most of the good brands are 275/40RZ20. Good brands versus not so good brands are a good starting point. I know some of the high mileage Japanese tires can be rather 'stiff' riding and lets them get the high miles. Too soft and you're replacing them every year. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Forgive me, I still think that you have the sizes mixed up; it's either 275/40 OR 245/45. Look on the tire placard on the door frame for the right size for the car you are driving. That's why you can't find many 275/45 since it's an oddball size. My friend has the 275/45x20, but they are on a big Volvo SUV and almost 30" tall! The normal tires on the Chargers, from what I have seen, are just under 29", and inch less in diameter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgive me, I still think that you have the sizes mixed up; it's either 275/40 OR 245/45. Look on the tire placard on the door frame for the right size for the car you are driving. That's why you can't find many 275/45 since it's an oddball size. My friend has the 275/45x20, but they are on a big Volvo SUV and almost 30" tall! The normal tires on the Chargers, from what I have seen, are just under 29", and inch less in diameter.
I was looking to see if a 275/45 was available and realize that it will be 275/40 instead. the car I'm driving is not the Charger yet, that's why I've been looking into tires beforehand, to save time shopping for them later. I did find several 275/45's but not for 20's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the best thing for me to plan is to get a pair of 275's for the rear and keep the 245's that come off for spares for the front. Save a few bucks in the process, for now at least.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yes, I run staggered myself; 245/45 FR and 275/40 RR. This way, the diameters are the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts