Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...been away for quite a while. The military has kept be pretty busy. I did a search, but a lot of the info is a little out of date, so figured I'd ask AGAIN. Haha.

My 2014 SRT Charger is getting ready to hit 25k miles. Tires, brakes, and rotors are all stock and unchanged/serviced. Not sure how I got so many miles out of them, but I did. Either way, looking to change them all finally.

Dealership offers all the OEM parts, which I want to shy away from due to ridiculously high prices and lack of quality (i.e. lasting 25k miles), but I am going to have them do the work.

I have researched tires mostly, but not brakes and rotors. Dealership quoted me just shy of $300 for front brakes and the same for the rear. I asked why so high...she just responded with "Mopar." Ridiculous.

So...tires, pads, and rotor recommendations? I am not looking to do a crazy upgrade here. Just want something not OEM that is better than what I have. Less brake dust, good all-season tires, and decent rotors.

Standing by to get blasted to asking the same question as 5k others ask...

Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Your link is for a pep boys in State college? I'm in State College haha. That price for tires is pretty good. Not sure of the quality though. I'd def. read reviews before purchase.

Anyways, I've owned 2 SRT's and I can't really say that I've had issues with brake dust on either car. I did swap rotors and did it with OEM rotors for a reasonable price. Second set of OEM rotors have nearly 40k on them and still going strong, pads too. And the pads where OEM too, but i got them online. As far as tires, I can't speak highly enough about the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1's. They're quiet on the road, traction is AWESOME and wear has been beyond great. I rotate them about every 5k mileage so I can get the most out of them. They go on sale several times a year. I put 275/40r20's on for better traction and it's helped alot. However, i did loose 1mpg if it matters due to the larger tire.

For me, front rotors, pads and tires were replaced at 14k and I'm at 50k and they still look near new. When i replaced them, i did have a slight warp, but the pads were still good. I replaced them only because I replaced the rotors.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your link is for a pep boys in State college? I'm in State College haha. That price for tires is pretty good. Not sure of the quality though. I'd def. read reviews before purchase.

Anyways, I've owned 2 SRT's and I can't really say that I've had issues with brake dust on either car. I did swap rotors and did it with OEM rotors for a reasonable price. Second set of OEM rotors have nearly 40k on them and still going strong, pads too. And the pads where OEM too, but i got them online. As far as tires, I can't speak highly enough about the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1's. They're quiet on the road, traction is AWESOME and wear has been beyond great. I rotate them about every 5k mileage so I can get the most out of them. They go on sale several times a year. I put 275/40r20's on for better traction and it's helped alot. However, i did loose 1mpg if it matters due to the larger tire.

For me, front rotors, pads and tires were replaced at 14k and I'm at 50k and they still look near new. When i replaced them, i did have a slight warp, but the pads were still good. I replaced them only because I replaced the rotors.
Must have just shown your local one? I'm in Virginia Beach. LOL. How are those Cooper tires in the snow?

·
Registered
948 Posts
My 4 piston front rotors started warping in the 20k mile range. I'll be replacing them shortly. Supposedly Brembo supplies the rotors and pads to dodge. Brembo parts are way cheaper than dealer parts. I would have chosen Brembo, but they don't have the slots in the front rotors. I think oem pads are like +$200

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 4 piston front rotors started warping in the 20k mile range. I'll be replacing them shortly. Supposedly Brembo supplies the rotors and pads to dodge. Brembo parts are way cheaper than dealer parts. I would have chosen Brembo, but they don't have the slots in the front rotors. I think oem pads are like +$200
I've been researching and it seems a lot of people like the Powerstop Z23 or Z26 rotor/pad kits. I may go that route. THey are compatible and nothing has to be changed from factory.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seeing how hard Stevens pushes those Coppers, he must have stock in the company. Lol
Haha. He makes a good point according to the reviews I'm reading.

Reactions: Stevens12

·
Registered
948 Posts
I was looking at the PowerStop, but only saw drilled and slotted rotors. I want slotted only. Just so happens this week a member was selling slotted StopTech rotors and I bought those :)
I bought Z26 pads off RockAuto. I should be able to install this weekend

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at the PowerStop, but only saw drilled and slotted rotors. I want slotted only. Just so happens this week a member was selling slotted StopTech rotors and I bought those :)
I bought Z26 pads off RockAuto. I should be able to install this weekend
I may just keep the stock rotors with 25k miles on them and just swap the pads with the Power Stops. Do you think I'd have any issues?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Must have just shown your local one? I'm in Virginia Beach. LOL. How are those Cooper tires in the snow?
The first set I had were the RS3-A's and they were pretty good. I drove my first SRT all winter long and never had an issue.

This set, upgrade from the RS3-A's haven't seen snow other than flurries. But if they did, I'd expect them to do just as good.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Seeing how hard Stevens pushes those Coppers, he must have stock in the company. Lol
hahaha I've had really good luck with Cooper tires and these have been awesome on the SRT's I've owned. I should be paid!!

I've ran Cooper on almost everything I've owned. CS4's on cars, and Zeon LTZ on trucks and the Discoverer's too. All have been great tires and lasted longer than I expected before needing replaced.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hahaha I've had really good luck with Cooper tires and these have been awesome on the SRT's I've owned. I should be paid!!

I've ran Cooper on almost everything I've owned. CS4's on cars, and Zeon LTZ on trucks and the Discoverer's too. All have been great tires and lasted longer than I expected before needing replaced.
I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the RS3-G1s. $688 at Tire Rack...then have them installed locally.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Sweet!! That's a great price. Dont forget to get your alignment checked.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
948 Posts
I may just keep the stock rotors with 25k miles on them and just swap the pads with the Power Stops. Do you think I'd have any issues?
It is recommended that you have the rotors turned to make them flat again. It helps ensure the new pads break in properly. That way it's flat pad on flat rotor, not flat on wavy. I would have my rotors turned if it was my Charger.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is recommended that you have the rotors turned to make them flat again. It helps ensure the new pads break in properly. That way it's flat pad on flat rotor, not flat on wavy. I would have my rotors turned if it was my Charger.
I didn't think you could turn slotted rotors? Either way, they are barely even worn. Can barely feel an edge.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I searched on turning slotted rotors and the recommendation was to turn the speed down so the cutting tool doesn't chatter.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Good luck finding a shop that will turn slotted/Drilled rotors. I will not run them anymore because of it. Too expensive for throwaway's.
If anyone can find a shop that will in the N. GA area please let me know.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the RS3-G1s. $688 at Tire Rack...then have them installed locally.
i was going to bad mouth those a little bit because they are middle of the pack:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

But except for snow performance, their numbers are just about as good as the top performers in that tire category. If price is good, you have my blessing.

Snow is out of the equation for me so I think I am going to do either Max Performance summer:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP
or Ultra High Performance Summer:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

Some of the tires are spooking me because they have no treadlife warranty lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts