Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the fourms and came to you gays for some advice... Ok this is the deal I just came off a lease and looking to get in to a nice new car... Some thing with more power then what i had ... A 07 E class E350 3.5 v6. To make a very long story short i fell in love with this 08 fully loaded R/T white with SRT package ... Seats,Rims Ext sexy ass car ... I mean if it had the Hood and the srt 8 brakes she would of been mines hands down... In the other hand the 06 Red SRT8 Calls my name I love the options it comes with that the R/T dosnt have... Kicker system,Bigger 6.1, 450 Hourse.. This is the thing witch one would make a nice daily user for a 45 mile 5 days a week ride... People tell me the SRT8 is a weekend car what you guys think is my best route ?

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
SRT8's could be a daily driver. Personally I chose the R/T (but got the R&T package because of the seats) because of the MDS (I mostly do suburb driving) and the slightly softer suspension. I don't now if I would change my mind at this point but it is a really close call.

·
Registered
366 Posts
They make something smaller than a 6.1? Odd...Can't imagine why...LOL!!

Like nanook said, you can use an SRT8 as a daily driver...I do. I didn't buy the car for gas mileage...I bought it for it's badazzedness. I can't imagine having anything else after having my Bee for almost 4 years now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
That SRT8 is 425 horse not 450 by the way. For the difference in insurance and gas cost in one year you can kick the R/T up to 425 horse and it don't jar your teeth. I drove both cars in 07 and chose the R/T with r&t over the SRT and I'm still happy I did.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Well use to have a V6 Charger but love my R/T and has great milleage with mds, never drove a SRT8 but from what others have posted it does consume gas ;)
Please refrain from throwing wrenches at me for that comment :gy:

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
We have had both, if gas mileage is a concern I would say go with the R/T. If not you can not go wrong with an SRT, it is a totally different beast

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
i have a R/T and love it but some times i wish i had the extra power of a SRT

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I love my R/T...you have the best of both worlds. A HEMI and decent gas mileage!

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Most people will cite horsepower being the only difference between R/Ts and SRTs but you also have to look at suspension, exhaust, brakes and room to grow....I love the R/T cuz its a muscle car and wont kill you at the tank, but the SRT is a completely different experience and if you can cover the extra for gas/insurance I say go for it

just my humble opinion

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes definitely gas is one of my concerns but if I look around well I can find the SRT8 at the same going price of the R/T so I just wanted some of the opinions of the pros out there. I also live in the NY area Insurance is a killer but I just needed to know the pros and cons of them both ... Like I said had this R/T I seen had a SRT hood and the sexy brake system it would have been a go hands down, I can live with out the kicker option..

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I'd choose the Datona cuz i love the Hemi Orange! IMO, go for what you want the most and which is more reasonable ...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
What JRZ said.. Ilove my RT but wish i could have went for the BB SRT8 that was in the showroom at the same time.. BTW you can not go wrong..MOPAR or NO car !!

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
I had a choice of an 06 BB SRT8 or my 06 Daytona, both were new and about the same price my Nanners loaded and the SRT was nicely equipped. The SRT has more power and better brakes which is a nice upgrade but for me the Daytona just spoke to me more.. Now if I could have afforded an 07 Detonator Yellow Bee, thats what i would have bought no questions asked..

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
For the difference in insurance and gas cost in one year you can kick the R/T up to 425 horse
No you can't.

The R/T saves ~$100 per 10,000 miles on gas, and insurance is nearly identical in cost vs. an SRT. My insurance rose $7/month going from a 2006 GoMango to a 2008 SRT, which could be accounted for by the two year difference, as almost two years later the difference in insurance costs is.... $1.90/month.

The cost in going through tires faster probably amounts to more than insurance and gas. :D

The RT is much cheaper upfront, usually much cheaper... as far as cost over time, the SRT is only very slightly more expensive. Keep in mind the SRT is, and will hold, it's value better over time as well. Both are wicked fun though. :)

Reactions: brandar75

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
No you can't.

The R/T saves ~$100 per 10,000 miles on gas, and insurance is nearly identical in cost vs. an SRT. My insurance rose $7/month going from a 2006 GoMango to a 2008 SRT, which could be accounted for by the two year difference, as almost two years later the difference in insurance costs is.... $1.90/month.

The cost in going through tires faster probably amounts to more than insurance and gas. :D

The RT is much cheaper upfront, usually much cheaper... as far as cost over time, the SRT is only very slightly more expensive. Keep in mind the SRT is, and will hold, it's value better over time as well. Both are wicked fun though. :)
Well, there ya go. Someone has done the math. :rep:
If you plan on modding it anyway, you might as well start with a 6.1.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I use to have an RT but always wanted a little more. After a while I purchased a SRT8 and absolutely loved the choice I made. I'm using mine as a daily driver and I drive over 80 miles one way. My mileage is pretty much the same as my RT(once I adjusted my settings with my predator). Insurance went up about $160 for the year. I love my SRT8.

·
Registered
142 Posts
SRT milage

I purchased a stock 07 SRT about 2 months ago. I was shocked at how GOOD the miles per gallon turned out to be.

On the way home from Florida via interstate running 80mph it got 23 mpg.
Daily driver around here (mtns. of SC) it gets between 18-19mpg.

Having driven both, the extra kick of the SRT is definately worth it, plus they hold thier value better I hear.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts