Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions to throw out to the 2011 group....

I bought my 2011 Charger RT new from the dealer. Has anyone had to replace the battery yet? My experience is OEM batteries last about 3 years. How long has yours lasted?

I had an opportunity to see how fast the car would go on a lonely remote Texas highway, I hit 129 when the ECM cut off the fuel. What's your experience?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just had to replace the oem battery on my 06 charger a few months ago, my lonely road top speed was 145ish. A tuner will open that up for you, just be careful and make sure your tires are rated for anything over the 130 and properly inflated. :) and as far as batteries go, there are many to choose from. Some like the red tops and some the yellow's. If you have or plan on having a big stereo system in it, then plan for a beefier battery.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The battery in my 2002 (Chrysler) 300m never died. I bought it new and traded it for my 2013 Charger, had the factory battery in it when the dealer took the car off my hands, a decade and a year later.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've heard 6-7 years on the factory battery

·
Dave
2,306 Posts
I've heard 5-7 years on factory batteries for most cars, but I don't recall replacing the one that I had in my '08 and that was OEM when I got it, right up until I traded it in last summer with 138,000 miles on it. It all depends on usage. If you let your car sit for extended periods of time (weeks, months) without disconnecting a battery terminal, or without putting it on a trickle charger, you'll drain it completely and it's those full on/off cycles, I think, that tend to kill batteries.

My brother's '99 Avenger has had a couple of batteries over the last few years, but I think that it's because he parks it in his driveway in the Fall, and pulls it out in the Spring without prepping it to sit for the entire winter. All that cold weather and thermal cycling without it holding a charge, getting charged, or being taxed by start-ups, etc., seem to do some damage to the battery.

·
Registered
789 Posts
when I tried to load a tune in my 11 it would not load because it said batt voltage too low,it had been sitting for about a week,so now everytime I use the tuner I get the batt charger out,I dont drive it every day,sometimes it sits for a week at the time.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Since the day I joined the Z, it seems like batteries have been the #1 issue on this gen of Charger. Even my '97 Ram goes through oem batteries every 3 years like clock work.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My 08 Super Bee still has the oe battery and I only drive it maybe 1 to 2 times a month otherwise it sits. I also only drive it in Spring, Summer and Fall. In the winter I put a trickle charger on it and take it off in Spring with no problems so far. Although this year my blue tooth lost all my phone settings. I don't know if it was due to me syncing with my Ram as well as the Bee or not. It works now so I am not to concerned. I know they are made to be driven, but I am disabled and typically only get out to take a 200 mile round trip to the Dr 2 times a month. When I bought my Bee the first week I took it from MN to Miami, Fl and home and then MN to TN the following year. After that my health does not allow for much anymore. Grandson is patiently waiting for the car when I finally quit driving.

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
5,005 Posts
I swapped my '06 out this spring, not because it needed it but just because I got worried about the age and was being proactive.

Highest speed I've ever had it was 150 before my stroker and 3.73 gears. It was far from topped out just reaching 5th gear around 130 but track conditions limited me at the time from going higher. There are numerous reports of stock 06-08 5.7 topping out at 159-164 once the limiters are removed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my battery yet (3 yrs old).
Get a diablo tuner raise the speed limit and scare yourself (on a safe track)
It is way faster than 129 MPH

·
Registered
23 Posts
Battery still good after 3 Canadian winters.

Top speed 140 mph before running out of road. Still had some left, not sure how much though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm about to change mine tomorrow. I have my car 3 years now and had to replace the alternator already. Man, I wish I could get my car up to 100 around here. Most I can get on the roads here is about 90 (barely any traffic around and on highways).

I will say that these cars are tanks!!! I live pretty much on the beach and my car got partially submerged in Hurricane Sandy, no problems at all with the car. Just lost a rim and a tire from the storm. The car never floated and it was one of the few that didn't get wrecked here.

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
5,005 Posts
I'm about to change mine tomorrow. I have my car 3 years now and had to replace the alternator already. Man, I wish I could get my car up to 100 around here. Most I can get on the roads here is about 90 (barely any traffic around and on highways).

I will say that these cars are tanks!!! I live pretty much on the beach and my car got partially submerged in Hurricane Sandy, no problems at all with the car. Just lost a rim and a tire from the storm. The car never floated and it was one of the few that didn't get wrecked here.
Head to a 1/4 mile drag strip on a test and tune night and you can hit 120 easily after the finish line before you have to slow down and it's a blast you get to burn rubber, race and speed legally with no worries of tickets. :TU:

·
Registered
654 Posts
I hit 141 with mine last week while data logging.

Ed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts