Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shakehead:Why would a charger r/t only have a top speed of 127.5 mph. Tested vehicle after replacing suspension and while in manual mode took car in 3rd to 110mph shifted to 4th til 127.5 and car would not go any faster with plenty of pedal and low rpm's in 4th shifted to 5th and could only shake my head.. Can i get rid of that blasted limiter?

·
Staffing since 2008
12,199 Posts
With my Canned 93 Octane tune, my car runs all the way up to 143 MPH (230KM)

·
Registered
897 Posts
weird :4-dontknow:

When I bought my car brand new in January 08 (bought in CA) I had to drive it back to Colorado (stationed a Fort Carson). After a week or so break in (around 1000 miles or so) I had to make the trek back to base. So I cruised along doing a little above the speed limit, then I found myself in the middle of Utah on a long stretch of straight flat road, so I figured let's open her up a little :D

I got up to over 150. :TU: (this is pre-Predator)

Maybe I got a "freak-mobile" but on the outset I didn't need a Predator to get past a so-called limiter/governor . . . but now that I've got one I'm never going back.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
GIJoe, the reason you were able to go faster than ~125mph is because you have the Road & Track package. "Standard" R/T's (no R&T) are electronically governed (limited) to ~125mph, primarily because of the speed rating on the factory tires. R/T Chargers with the R&T package come with V speed rated tires (rated for 149mph). I don't know if the R&T Chargers are limited or not, but if they are, it's a good 20mph higher than the non R&T versions. As others mentioned, the Predator allows you to change the governed speed limit, effectively allowing you to eliminate it.

·
Staffing since 2008
12,199 Posts
GIJoe, the reason you were able to go faster than ~125mph is because you have the Road & Track package. "Standard" R/T's (no R&T) are electronically governed (limited) to ~125mph, primarily because of the speed rating on the factory tires. R/T Chargers with the R&T package come with V speed rated tires (rated for 149mph). I don't know if the R&T Chargers are limited or not, but if they are, it's a good 20mph higher than the non R&T versions. As others mentioned, the Predator allows you to change the governed speed limit, effectively allowing you to eliminate it.
They are governed at 143 ish. I never altered mine with the predator

·
Registered
250 Posts
weird :4-dontknow:

When I bought my car brand new in January 08 (bought in CA) I had to drive it back to Colorado (stationed a Fort Carson). After a week or so break in (around 1000 miles or so) I had to make the trek back to base. So I cruised along doing a little above the speed limit, then I found myself in the middle of Utah on a long stretch of straight flat road, so I figured let's open her up a little :D

I got up to over 150. :TU: (this is pre-Predator)

Maybe I got a "freak-mobile" but on the outset I didn't need a Predator to get past a so-called limiter/governor . . . but now that I've got one I'm never going back.
Daytona's and RnT had the highest factory speed setting I read in Motor Trend Mag that they are both limited to 148mph from the factory. Were you the first owner of the car? If not maybe the original owner had a Predator tune already set when you bought it... Just throwing out ideas cause 150 is over the factory setting. They made it 148mph because the factory tires were only rated at 149mph.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I bought the car brand new (3 miles on it, ordered via Dodge Fleet sales while deployed in Iraq)

and yes it was at or around 154 mph on the (crappy) 245/45/20 RSAs.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mine doesn't go over 95... That us what I tell my wife atleast..

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have the High Speed Engine Handler it's a top speed of 160. Look at your window sticker for that option with the R/T Road and Track. That will tell you. Also, I noticed that it comes with the 3.06 gear ratio.

·
9 Second Club
22,382 Posts
I hit 160 chasing Clay LOL

·
Registered
10,155 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you have the High Speed Engine Handler it's a top speed of 160. Look at your window sticker for that option with the R/T Road and Track. That will tell you. Also, I noticed that it comes with the 3.06 gear ratio.
The High Speed Engine Controller comes stock with both the R&T package and the Daytona package. And that is what makes the car go 148mph, instead of the 127mph that a regular R/T is limited to. And the 2006-2008 Daytona's came with a 2.82 gear ratio (changed in 2009), and the R/T R&T was 2.82 from 2006-2009 (changed in 2010).

·
9 Second Club
22,382 Posts
what ? you didn't have Enuff to smoke him? lol!
With all the stuff you have done, what in gods name was Clay driving.. A rocket!!!!:D

Well, it wasnt a drag race..... this was on an interstate and he was ahead of me and just decided to take off.... I dont spray on the street.... I let off @ 160 cause I didnt realize how fast I was going.....I probably would of hit 190 but he had more in his

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Well, it wasnt a drag race..... this was on an interstate and he was ahead of me and just decided to take off.... I dont spray on the street.... I let off @ 160 cause I didnt realize how fast I was going.....I probably would of hit 190 but he had more in his
What was he driving, his SRT? Even off the spray your car is still super fast..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts