Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I will be buying a torque converter for my beast, but I don't know which stall to get I was originally thinking 2800 to 3000 to keep it mild and streetable seeing as its my daily driver but after a little digging im leaning toward 3200, anyone got any suggestions with my setup or experience they would like to share with a trans newbie?:4-wavey:

·
12,892 Posts
I don't have any first-hand experience, but the shop I'm dealing with recommends a 3200 stall. It's somewhere on the list of future upgrades.

I do know RenoRob is running a 2800 stall. I'm sure others will have some good info.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It depends on what type of converter you get. If you get a "tight" converter you can get away with a higher stall. If you get a "loose" converter you probably want to go with a slightly lower stall. Generally speaking, smaller diameter converters tend to be looser but stall ratio also figures into the equation, and helps determine the shift extensions (how much the rpms drop between shifts).

First and foremost, do your homework before you decide what to go with. You don't want to make the wrong decision and have to live with something you regret. Don't forget you should also figure on tuning the shifting to your liking so it's not just buy a converter, drop it in, and run with it. I would recommend you try to find someone with a Charger with a converter in the ranges you are considering and try to drive them, or at least go for a ride so you can see how they perform.

I have a Yank TT2600 in my Magnacharged Avalanche; stock stall is 1600. It's also a slightly smaller diameter than the stock converter (10-1/2" vs 12" if I remember correctly - it's been about 8 years since I did the stall). I don't hammer the truck all the time so I went with a single disc converter. I could have chosen to go with a triple disc, which would hold up to abuse better, and would also allow you to lock the converter while shifting. Hope this helps......

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
I'm running the Pro Torque 2800 and you can't tell it's even in there except when you flash it. If I had to do it again with stock power I would've bumped up to a 3200, from what I understand they also will still drive stock but anything higher will slip a bit from stops.

I was going to upgrade with my upcoming round of go fast mods to match the new power output but Stu @ Inertia said I didn't need to that my stall will raise with the new power to around 3100-3200.

I think Chris (Back in Black) had a converter in his new SRT before he sold it but I can't remember who on the forum bought his car so you could talk to them. Keep looking and see if you can talk one on one with someone who has stalled a 392 as it will be a different experience than a lesser powered engine. Try talking to Dan (DRP6982) he has a vast experience with different stalls and is very knowledgeable on them.

http://www.chargerforumz.com/member.php?u=1613

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input, not sure about converter size and a lot of these don't say size so I think most are the same, ill dm dan about it, id like to get a good stall so my trans will be done and I wont have to buy a different one when I get my engine built

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm new in here, so whatever these guys say. However, I did several 408 RT Dakotas and Rams and we stalled them up to 3K rpm. Here's what I absolutely hated about a high stall converter - From a dig, they're awesome. But slow down to go around a corner, say down to 15 or 20 mph - then you have stab it back up to 3,000 or even 3,200 to get it moving again. I hated that. Drove me nuts. We used to get a "viper" converter and they included 1 free stall adjustment with a new converter. Which was great. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 3600 FTI billet stall with Mopar MTCM , custom tuned . It's drives just fine !
Only issue is if I'm at a light and it's wet out you just need to behave . I have a 2007 Srt8
Charger and my buddy has a 2008 super bee charger same mods except stall n TCM .
From flat light my car rips out of the whole by 2 1/2 car leanths every time . We switched cars just for fun and I couldn't beat my car off the line . But once we got I would say 1/2 way through 1/4 mile run he caught up door to door and I just nose him out.
So it's time to go internal and cam/head it .
By the way he has a challenger as well and same result. I put this higher stall in because the 6.1 seams to like the higher RPM's . I have had it in for almost a year now and it daily drives just fine. You really only know it's there if you get on it .

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I've had a pro torque 2800, Fti 3200 and a Fti 4000 converter and both Fti converters drove better then the pro torque. I would get a Mopar tcm or a Hemituner modified tcm with the converter so it will lock up in 2nd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts