Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember me trying to diagnose a possible transmission issue on my new to me 2008 Daytona with 65k miles where i was experiencing some small thumps or jerks only when downshifting. Well on Thursday night for the first time I kind of launched the car off a red light to get away from someone tailgating me, heard a huge bang and the rear differential basically totally came apart internally. So, it wasn’t the transmission after all. Trying to get everything straight with my aftermarket warranty and get her fixed.

Anyway, it doesn’t seem common to me that a rear differential would fail at 65k miles. Why would it have intermittent jerky downshifting and then just explode? Car was maintained well by previous owners according to car fax. It does not have excessive mods, just a K&N cai and a Flowmaster catbacks. What I really want to ask is what can I do to prevent this from reoccurring? Dealer said once it’s approved the parts will have to come from salvage because they aren’t manufactured anymore. Is this a possible design flaw? I don’t drive the car excessively, in fact this was the first time I really opened her up. I don’t race or drive like a dick, but I also don’t want to be worried that if I put the pedal down every once in a while that the car will do the same.

Like I said this is the first time I’ve really put the pedal to the floor in this car. I’d opened her up a bit on the highway and on straightaways while cruising but nothing from a dead stop. I don’t do donuts or burnouts, I don’t race between lights and drive with two feet. I’m assuming this type of behavior is what would have caused the previous owner to wear out the differential, correct? I’m fairly certain I can’t be so unlucky as to have this happen again, I’m just trying to understand how one destroys their rear differential in 65k miles.

Lastly, my warranty company is sending out an appraiser Monday, they hinted that they may try to blame this failure on a CV axle I had replaced by the used dealership where I bought the car. Could an improperly installed cv axle cause the failure or is the fact that it needed replacing a symptom of it starting to fail? I was having some intermittent small thumps while downshifting, and that was both before and after the cv joint installation, so I certainly don’t think it’s the cause but would a failing rear differential start to warp or bend cv axles?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you want a strong rear end, get yourself a Dana 60. I am running a Strange 60 in my Barracuda (see avatar) and I beat on it constantly. I have a lot to learn about these new cars and I suspect that I will be following a similar route (see link below), probably with 3.54 gears in a few years. I'll be hitting the Wednesday night drags down at Infineon, often.

You may want to consider a differential brace as well. That's probably going to be one of my first purchases. They are only a couple hundred bucks at most and cheap insurance.

I do not know how strong the stock differentials are in these cars, but I've seen a few videos of guys who destroy theirs at the track. Granted, these are Demons, but since you're going to be replacing your rear end, you may as well buy yourself a little Piece of Mind. This will also give you the option of a gear change to steeper gears for better 60' times, provided you can put that power to the ground rather than just spinning the tires.

This is many times the cost of what you'll pay at a pick-n-pull, and you'll only have to replace it ONCE. However, you can just grab a spare at the pick-n-pull and keep it in the trunk as ballast, and when you blow out another one, you can swap it out between runs

I found this with a little google searching, I have no idea how good a company this is.
https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/dodge-challenger-lc-lx-pro-60-irs.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I’m in the middle of trying to buy a house and I just bought the car so I’m really trying to just fix, not upgrade at the moment. May look at a brace but can’t drop 3-6k on a performance differential right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts