Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took my car to the track on the weekend for the first time. I cant say that i wasn't just a little disappointed in my times and speed.
I am sure that it had to do with more me then the car but my best was a 14.5 at 98.9 mph. the car is pretty much stock, and it was just a mash the peddle on green, no pre burnouts or anything and 3/4 of a tank of gas. i will say it was a lot of fun getting to open her up a few times and by the second pass there was no more smell that happened before when i would get the small chance to go WOT.
Do those numbers seem pretty normal for stock?
And any cheap ideas to get in the mid 13's say?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Track conditions make a huge difference. Get a cold air intake and practice your hole shot. You need to get your 60’ time down to a low 2.0 or the 1.9 second range. You will not be able to get your 60’ time down much with all-season tires. Summer/performance tires will help. Also, the 5.7 is prone to slowing down a lot when the motor is hot. Next time you go, if you really want to get your best time and mph, get there when the track opens and let the car cool down for a couple of hours with the hood up. Do not leave it running as you work your way through the staging lanes. Do what you can to keep the intake from getting hot from idling too long. Run with 1/4 tank of gas or less. I don’t know what size rear ratio or tires you have but I have 20” wheels with Summer tires and let them down to 24 psi. Do not go through the water to the starting line if you can avoid it. Spin the tires pretty good and pull up to the line. Power brake it only to about 1200-1400 rpm and go on the next to last yellow light. Unless you are running in 95% humidity and 95 degree weather, you should be able to get it down around 14.0 or high 13’s and 100 mph. My first time with my 2013 completely stock, I only ran a Best 14.2 and 99 mph but I ran it as soon as I got to the track and it was hot weather. Next time out, I had a JLT cold air intake and was still completely stock down to the original factory Goodyear performance tires and ran [email protected] However, the conditions were great and I let it cool down until the intake was barely warm to the touch. It seems to have a lot more power when the engine is cool. Again, the track conditions and your 60’ time makes all the difference. Go back and have fun!
AABB80D7-8042-4F04-85AE-200DA6958F71.jpeg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Track conditions make a huge difference. Get a cold air intake and practice your hole shot. You need to get your 60’ time down to a low 2.0 or the 1.9 second range. You will not be able to get your 60’ time down much with all-season tires. Summer/performance tires will help. Also, the 5.7 is prone to slowing down a lot when the motor is hot. Next time you go, if you really want to get your best time and mph, get there when the track opens and let the car cool down for a couple of hours with the hood up. Do not leave it running as you work your way through the staging lanes. Do what you can to keep the intake from getting hot from idling too long. Run with 1/4 tank of gas or less. I don’t know what size rear ratio or tires you have but I have 20” wheels with Summer tires and let them down to 24 psi. Do not go through the water to the starting line if you can avoid it. Spin the tires pretty good and pull up to the line. Power brake it only to about 1200-1400 rpm and go on the next to last yellow light. Unless you are running in 95% humidity and 95 degree weather, you should be able to get it down around 14.0 or high 13’s and 100 mph. My first time with my 2013 completely stock, I only ran a Best 14.2 and 99 mph but I ran it as soon as I got to the track and it was hot weather. Next time out, I had a JLT cold air intake and was still completely stock down to the original factory Goodyear performance tires and ran [email protected] However, the conditions were great and I let it cool down until the intake was barely warm to the touch. It seems to have a lot more power when the engine is cool. Again, the track conditions and your 60’ time makes all the difference. Go back and have fun! View attachment 93462
Thanks for the tips, especially getting the car as cool as possible, I hope to get back on the track before the season ends up here

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Let us know how it goes? I was like you when I bought my new 2013. I wanted to be able to say that I had an honest to goodness 13 second car that goes over 100 mph in the 1/4, runs on 87 octane, gets 26+ mpg on the highway, seats 5 and...has hot and cold cup holders! What a car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts