Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is that for just a fluid change or a filter change as well? I ask because the filter on the ZF 8 speed is built into the pan, so the entire assembly has to be changed and they average around $100 for the kit with pan, gasket, and bolts. You also have to take into account the cost of the ZF spec fluid. The stuff from Mopar is $30 a quart and you'll need roughly 8 quarts. I use Red Line AT6 which meets the specs and use a gallon during the flush and another couple for the fill. The process is easy if you are comfortable turning wrenches. The steps are listed here: www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_gb/corporate/aftermarket/spare_parts_corporate/transmissions_corporate/how_to_change_oil/change_oil.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks. Yea I found out that the filter
Was built into the pan. I’ve don’t it a hundred times on chevys but if the shop
Will do it for $200. That makes life easier.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just did my ZF. I don't see how a shop would only charge $194.00, from what i hear the stealerhip is charging $500-$600.
I got the pan/filter/bolt kit for $165.00 on Amazon. I bought 7qts of fluid from fleabay @$30 qt and i ended up using 5 1/4qts. The basic process is the same as any other trans fluid change except for the refill. You can get about 3qts in then after you start it up and do the procedure (shifting thru gears, etc) you put the rest in until it runs out the fill hole.
ZF has the procedure on their website.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can go underneath and open the fluid fill hole and check. However you have to make sure your trans is at a specific temperature.

From what I’ve read the trans fluid is not expected to ever be checked because it is so awesome. I have 78k on my charger and want to replace the fluid and the filter. Still haven’t decided if I am going to do it myself or just take it to he dealership.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Most cars now don't have dipsticks.
From the ZF website:
Automatic ZF transmissions are filled with the specially developed ZF-LIFEGUARDFLUID transmission oil. At very high operating temperatures, the oil ages faster than under normal conditions. Depending on the driving style (e.g. many drives at high speeds or sporty driving), ZF therefore recommends a transmission oil change every 100,000 km or after 8 years at the latest.
9. Checking the fill level
Once the oil temperature is between 30°C and 35°C (6HP) or 40°C (8HP), check the fill level. If no oil is running out of the filler hole, the filled oil quantity is too small. In this case, top up with the suitable ZF-LIFEGUARDFLUID until it runs out of the hole.
Let the engine run until the transmission temperature is at 40°C and only a few drops spill out of the filler hole. Now, close the filler plug and tighten it to the prescribed tightening torque.
FCA says lifetime fluid, but ZF (THE MANU OF THE TRANS) says otherwise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts