Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit 30k miles on my Charger Daytona 5.7 and know I need to change/flush my trans fluid. I just am not sure which I am supposed to do. I watched the Chrisfix video on the difference between the two, but not sure which applies to me since its the first time and I am still on the "break-in" fluid from the factory. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you keep up on changes, there's no reason to ever flush a transmission.

You don't need to change it for another 20k, but there's no harm in it. Just pull the drain plug, let the fluid get cold, then replace it with exactly the same amount of fresh fluid.

Next time, at 50 or 60k, replace the pan & filter. You'll need to follow the correct procedure for checking the fluid level when you're done.

That's about it. Alternating a drain & fill and a pan drop every 30-50k will do you just fine. Since you have a drain plug, you can do it more often if you like.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Go ahead and have it flushed. Flush is the standard. That way you also get the fluid changed in the torque converter which doesn’t happen if you just drain the pan. I get mine serviced every 30,000 miles at the dealer. There is no dipstick and there is a special procedure to follow. I am not sure there is actually a drain plug? You can damage the trans if it is not done properly.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I did find that the ZF manufacturer recommends changing filter at 70,000-80,000 miles. It is important to have the exact amount of fluid in the trans. I don’t think this is easily done by a do-it-yourselfer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd highly recommend Brian's trans fluid from B and D automotive... Custom stuff... I run his entire line, coolant, motor oil, diff, and trans. Also a fuel additive... I'm sold for one reason, proof is in the oil analysis of his stuff. Less metal from important parts present after his fluid. I did a drain and fill at 15k on the trans I'm at about 20k now and am planning on a pan drop and refill. Trying to get the Dodge factory mess outta there. Should be good to go another 50k after that. Dodge says the trans fluid is lifetime, ZF says 80k.. Fresh fluid won't hurt prematurely and there's is no fluid that is truly lifetime!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts