Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the fluid and filter in the transmission of my 5.7 charger. I have heard conflicting information on removing the pan as some people say you need to take the cross member out while others don't mention this step. Do I need to take the cross member out? When I take the pan out, I am going to install a drain plug for easy fluid changes.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Crossmember is at the rear of the transmission (past the pan). No requirement to remove the crossmember to remove the pan for fluid & filter change. This is on the assumption that the police model is the same as the standard civilian model.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just don't do a flush... Drain and refill... A flush can move pieces of metal into places you don't want... Causing real problems sooner or later...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I finished that job a long time ago. Just in case anybody is looking to do the same job, you do need to remove the crossmember and have a jack (I used a bottlejack) to support the transmission. While I was at it I installed a drain plug and put in a new filter as well. I plan on draining and refilling every 30K or so. I store my car while I'm in school so I may never drain it, but the option is there now. I live in MN so the salt had destroyed the bolts, so I sheered 3 of the heads off (just crumbled away) but was able to get the studs out using vice grips...after I had to drill the studs out of the clamps. Replaced all them with new high grade studs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts