Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Dodge Charger R/T that I bought last week with 12600 miles on it. This weekend we decided to take it to the mountains and when going up hill, something happens with the transmission. When going up steep hills, all of a sudden there is a bad grinding sound when letting off the gas. When applying the gas, everything seems to be fine. And when driving on normal ground, the problem doesnt seem to happen. Only when going up a steep hill and when the car works hard to drive upward and then I slow down, it makes the noise and the grinding sound and it feels rough. The first time it happened, I was going about 60 mph. The second time it happened I was going about the same. The last time it happened, I was only going about 30 mph, but I was going up a very steep hill, causing the engine to rev high and work hard. I took it to a shop, but they said just by looking at it that they cant tell what the issue is. Any suggestions to what is wrong?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yeah, it's going to be hard to diagnose without actually replicating the problem. Does it do it if you mash the pedal real hard on flat ground and let off or absolutely only when going up hill? Are you 100% sure it's coming from the tranny?

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem only happens when going uphill. I have pushed it full throttle on flat ground and nothing happens and it sounds great and drives well. As for the transmission, I only assume its transmission. I am not very knowledgeable about mechanical problems on cars. It seems the problem is coming from the back right side of the car, as that is where the sound seems to be coming from.

7ach

·
Registered
972 Posts
.... It seems the problem is coming from the back right side of the car, as that is where the sound seems to be coming from.

7ach
Ah! If it's coming from the right rear, you can breath easy, it's not the tranny. That should narrow it down to possibly a CV axle or bearing perhaps. Now why it would only do it going up hill is still a mystery. Of course, this is just guesswork on my part.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understandable. The car is still under warranty, so I am not worried about the problem as much as I am hoping for a solution as soon as possible. I just wanted to see what people are saying about it so I know what to say when I go to the dealer. Thank you for your input. The uphill problem is stumping me as well.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I had an 06 Grand Prix that did the same thing. No one was ever able to figure out where the sound is coming from or why. I haven't noticed this on the Charger, but could possibly be a case of slight engine knock as you're straining it a little harder :4-dontknow:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts